Advice about leveling

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by lewisa, Jan 22, 2017.

1. lewisa

lewisa New Member

Not sure I want to tackle this as a DIY job. Looking for advice about the possible options before I speak to some local trades.

Room is 6 x 4 m separated by an arch. One half of the room has a solid, level and clean subfloor, looks like asphalt to me. The other half is a bit of a mishmash with a concrete hearth and brown coloured asphalt looking stuff.

The level of the mishmash room varies between about 2mm to 10mm lower than the black asphalt room.

What would the options be for bringing the level of the mishmash room up to the same level as the good side?

20170122_151409_resized.jpg 20170122_151422_resized.jpg

2. RPB

RPB Super Moderator Staff Member

What type of floor covering are you having ?(carpet/LVT/wood etc)

3. lewisa

lewisa New Member

Solid wood hopefully. Floated click lock stuff if we can get away with it.

4. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

You can't have solid as it would need gluing down.
    Floating would be better like laminate or engineered wood.

On tapatalk HD

5. lewisa

lewisa New Member

Engineered would be OK for us. What about levelling the room? It was previously old laminate with a DPM over the whole area and 2 layers of 5mm thick fibreboard underlay on the low room with a fudge of layers in the higher areas and the transition area between the rooms. There was no underaly in the good room.

Some firms are selling solid wood click stuff which they say is OK for floating, but that seems to be against the general guidelines. Is it a bad idea?

6. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

You could bring the lower side up by screeding once, then 2nd coat over the top carrying on into the smoother room but often ive seen this many times where I just go in thicker where needed and hit the whole area in 1 hit.

Doesnt look half as bad as you say.

If it was me then obviously damp test first then if ok id str (light machine grinder/sander for the novice) over the top before ardex NA the lot BUT like I say first I always test for moisture on any of the floors I do!

7. lewisa

lewisa New Member

Ok thanks.

When it comes to laying th floor will the long run down centre of room (6.8metres) need a bigger than normal expansion gap, or treat each half as a seperate room with a threshold in the arch?

8. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

I'd run it through as the temperature of both rooms will stay fairly the same.
    If it was me I'd take all the tiles up and remove the adhesive and re screed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk