Advice for damp floor, crappy screed and asbestos bitumen please!

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by diyfloorist, May 29, 2017.

1. diyfloorist

diyfloorist New Member

Hi, I’m after some advice/suggestions regarding my floor…We’ve recently moved into a 60s house which has a screed floor, on top of a concrete base with no DPM.

The screed layer is damaged by damp, and is easily disturbed/crumbled. There’s also ridges from where the tiles used to be.

There’s a bitumen layer on the screed which was used as tile adhesive (tiles no longer present), I’ve had this tested by a surveyor, this contains Chrysotile (white asbestos), which I read can be removed by non licensed contractors (but still have to operate under 2012 control of asbestos regulations).

Between the screed layer and the concrete sub base is another bitumen layer (untested).

So I’m after some suggestions advice please.

If I we can get the screed removed, and can apply some form of Damp Proof layer to the concrete sub base, what products would you recommend for the DPM and screed?

I would imagine this sort of thing is quite common, do any of you deal with removing screed of this type?

Also do you keep a directory of flooring contractors? I’m not far from Leeds and Bradford and ideally would like to get someone in to do the above.

Originally I would have like to excavate the whole floor and have a DPM installed with insulation as per modern building regs, (also to try to prevent condensation type damp which could have been a factor). However after the asbestos results, I’m less inclined to take this route. However, I'm totally a flooring noob and just trying to get this sorted. The end goal is to have the floor carpeted, level and damp free!

Thanks in Advance!

Some pics below:

IMG_20170529_111442.jpg IMG_20170529_111501.jpg

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

There are a few ways of doing this with different Products.

I'd be grinding the adhesive off the floor then if still about rough
    A coat of Screeding compound
    2 coat of Dpm
    Prime & screed again.

Done this system a lot over the last ten years on that type of floor with zero problems.

On tapatalk HD

3. ste

ste Active Member