Anhydright problem

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Neilydun, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

I have a job on at the moment, which is a small refurb, for a regular client. I`m not on site myself, but have been told there is area approx 300 sq. m which has been patched up over and over again, and looks awful. Its covered with standard 2mm vinyl.
    My guy`s have looked at the area, and it looks as though there is

Anhydright (guessing 100mm), epoxy dpm, latex (looks standard) nothing special.

I have gathered that, the fit out took place 5 years ago, during winter, so i`m guessing that the anhydright was laid, did not dry, a dpm was applied, then latex, and its been coming up ever since.

My thoughts are, the vinyl needs to be removed, then the latex and dpm ground off, and then allowed to dry properly.

However, this has not gone down well, as the area is in use 24/7 and I can`t give any indication of how long it may take to dry.
    They also understand that if this is the only way to resolve the issue, they may have to just keep patching the floor up.

So, any ideas of the best way forward ? I may be able to get product switched to a floated 6mm click vinyl, but i`m still concerned that the moisture will be trapped, and possibly rot, or cause a smell beneath the floor.

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

How about isolator membrane over the top or Altro expresslay.
    Not perfect put they say it's letting the floor breathe

On tapatalk HD

3. Neilydun

Yes, I had considered isolator. My only problem would be getting the floor flat now. I would defiantly need to remove all the shit that has been fitted on top, as its all failing and peeling, so it would need more latex.
    Another problem is the area is heavily trafficked, including wheeled traffic, so could be a potential problem.

4. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

what about putting jumpax down or can that stuff not go down on an area that big?

5. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Are you having to do this in phases/sections if its a 24/7 party?

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Click sounds a good option. Or carpet tiles lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Neilydun

Thats worth a look mate, thanks. I`m a bit worried, if I cover the floor with a membrane, will it sweat/rot/smell

8. Neilydun

Hopefully not. Maybe 2 sections to allow access.

9. Neilydun

Found out a bot more today. I don`t know who the fit out was done by, or the flooring contractor, BUT-
    Anhydrite poured, left less than 48hrs, dpm, latex, install.
    All complete within 1 week !!!

10. Trimmer

Trimmer Well-Known Member

Ouch.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

11. J d clarkson flooring

J d clarkson flooring Well-Known Member

Your never going to be able to do it correctly without taking it all up......
    Does the floor have underfloor heating at all, normally that's why anhydride is used.
    If not then the drying times are the same as concrete. Most Dpm not suitable for anhydride either.
    To be honest if it was me I would put my suggestion to them that it needs to all come up to dry out...... Grind back to correct surface and dry out. If they don't want to do this then walk away.
    Let them chase the original builder/contractor who hasn't done it correctly. Whatever goes on top is likely to fail.
    Failing that maybe find a levelling compound that can go direct to the anhydride that's not cement based ( long shot if it's still wet) or a latex based that will bond to wet anhydride ( contact Ardex or eurocol technical) and loose lay something until it's dry to get them back in service. Very costly but unless they shut then can't see anything else working

12. Neilydun

Walking away is not really an option. These guy`s are my main clients, and spend a lot with us.
    There is no underfloor heating. My guess is the contractor who installed it, misinformed the m/c and lead them to believe that this was a new, miracle screed, which speeds up the installation process. All false, as we know.
    As with most fit outs, there was a 12 month defect retention, which has long since gone, so the original contractor will not be returning. Even if he did, it would just be more of the patching up, which would now be chargeable.
    I have worked a lot with anhydright, and have used all sorts of latex screeds over it, with good effect, so long as its ground, primed correctly, AND DRY !
    I have a technical guy going to take a look, and confirm my thoughts are correct.

13. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

How long does it take to dry Neil if no underfloor heating.
    I have one now. Been down about 6 weeks. He's pushing me to fit it. Going to grind a section then put a box down or should I drill I probe in ?

On tapatalk HD

14. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Use probes Daz all over the shop
    Do you know the manufacturer of the anhydride ?
    With no ufh snd laid this time of year
    Id book the job in for Xmas. ..

2018:rolleyes:

15. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

If you grind it back it'll dry earlier than later..

16. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

If you put anything loose lay on top as temp floor it'll just trap moisture in, see if you can do 100m at a time, list it all, grind back then test it 3 weeks later.. Long winded but safest route

17. Trimmer

Trimmer Well-Known Member

Something breathable will allow it to dry out if the dpm is removed. .....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

18. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Last one I Did I took the top first and it dried in two weeks with Ufh on

19. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

perhaps 3 weeks with no ufh?

20. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

perhaps, but at a slower rate