Screed problems ,

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Andrei, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

I am on site and i fit polyfloor vinyl cape and cove
    The problem is that the screed is quite rubbish and it is easy to sand even is if totaly dry ( if i rub it with my hands its becoming dusty )
    When i sanded it prior to vinyl instalation with a sanding stone if i was to insist 10 seconds i would have removed all the screed )
    This is due to my custoner saying that the screed is a good quality because he took it from selco :)
    However i told the customer that the screed is not good because after my instalation the vinyl will be very easy to remove because the adhesive is not connecting with the screed because it is becoming very dusty
    ( i did vacuum well before instalation )
    I have glue down a sheet of vinyl but when i tried to lift it ,it lifted very easly and all the adhesive was only the vinyl nothing on the screed .
    I have fitted about 200m2 by now because my customer insisted to have it done
    However he did said today that i should put primer on the screed prior to my adhesive
    ((Is that a by any chance any good ? like priming the screed and after that to glue the vinyl on it ? ))
    Thanks guys

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

You can prime the compound before the adhesive but it sounds like that will not resolve your problem.
    Is it a water or latex mix ?
    What RH readings did you get from your moisture test ?
    Have you used a dpm ?

3. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

The cutomer have screeded the floor
    There is no dpm
    Is a water mix
    The customer is trying to save cash because i told to replace the screed and he doesn't want
    Regarding priming the screed i was told by some other fitter to avoid that because the adhesive will not stick on it

4. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

What if i feather finish the whole floor ?
    Would that be any good or i risk taking responsability over the screed if the feather finish wont stick to it
    Whos fault it is if the cutomer asks you to go ahead ?

5. ste

ste Active Member

6. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

The finished floor covering will only be as good as what's what underneath ie the preperation.
    Priming before adhesives extends the open time of the adhesive and cab help with slightly dusty surface if it's used correctly.

Sounds like you've got a bit of a disaster waiting to blow. Feather ain't going to help much either. If your screed is week and dusty like you say then nothing is going to bond full to it full stop.

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

They have done a bodge job on the screed and are now desperate for you to fit the floor on it. That way it's your problem not theirs. Tell them to take the screed up and let you re do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

I have told them that i will supply screed/latex at £11 including Vat .
    But they belive is too expensive as they will have to pay for the screeding labour too.
    I will prime the screed and i will see whats going to happen .

9. AngryAndy

AngryAndy Well-Known Member

If you undertake this job without resolving these reservations and it goes wrong it will be your problem to fix it, not theirs. The law will regard you as the expert and accordingly a judge will find you liable. If you aren't allowed to do the correct sub floor prep to a standard that you are happy with then don't do it.

10. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Why do fitters put themselves through crap like this?

Walk away cut your losses if need be, fair enough if you need the work but do you want the migrane to go with it!

Id sack that right off, aint worth it in the long run. If you have done 200m2 already then its way to late to start moaning at them about it now. You have created your own potential headache..

11. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Unhappy dayz. Who did the prep ? The builder ?

Too much water in the mix ? No primer ? Too cold on site ? Shit latex ?

12. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

All of the above by the sound of it lol

13. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

If your going to prime it try 10-1
    Then another coat at 4-1 and see how it is

On tapatalk HD

14. Trimmer

Trimmer Well-Known Member

I agree with the above comments. Probably screeded with to much water and no primer.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

15. Neilydun

Is that £11 per unit inc vat ? What product is that ?
    Or is that a m sq. rate

16. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

Thats £11 bag 20kg of screed and 5 litre bottle of latex

17. Neilydun

Blimey mate, how do you make any money ?

18. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

T
    The builder did the prep ,, actually the guy is a carpenter ..
    I did show to him that there is too much water in the
    Yes they didn't prime about 150 m2 until i got there and gave them a bottle of primer i had in my car from a previous job
    So now they are priming .

19. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

However from today i will be organising the flooring prep
    They have understood that they are taking too many risks

20. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

But was a headeache to make them understand