A couple of questions about LVT plank fitting from a newbie.

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by UK Dave, Aug 28, 2021.

1. UK Dave

UK Dave Member

Hi all,

My son is refurbing his entire house (and roped me in to help) and has decided to have 2.5mm LVT in all rooms. He has plywood boarded all the floors with 12mm WBP except the kitchen where we are unsure what the options are. The floor is currently tiled with flat ceramic tiles (about 18" in size) and in good condition. I presume we can VVT over them if the grout lines were level with the surface of the tile. So what are the options? Go around each grout line and fill with an epoxy filler or pour some type of self leveling compound over the over the whole lot? We wouldn't want to raise the level by any degree as that will give other issues.

Second query is choice of adhesives for both this kitchen area (ceramic tile or self levelling compound) and the rest of the house being plywood WBP. Looking online there seem to be so many, what are the experts thoughts?

2. J d clarkson flooring

J d clarkson flooring Well-Known Member

First thing is ideally should have been flooring grade ply (fg1 or sp101).
    Second thing is are your ceramics on timber or concrete, I’d be pulling the ceramic up and plying level with your 12mm ply.
    As it’s a DIY project if your 12mm ply is flush with the ceramics that are down yoir going to have to self level over them with a minimum of 3-4mm to allow for a sound surface for your adhesive.
    You will always have the risk of cracking where the two meet though.
    If the ceramics are sound degrease and prime and use renovation screed.
    It’s not ideal as like I say I’d be lifting the ceramics and running the 12mm ply through

3. UK Dave

UK Dave Member

Thanks for the reply. He's fitted the entire house with the WBP, I can't see him ripping it up and changing it now, so hopefully it won't give any issues. The ceramic tiles are stuck directly onto the cement screed. They seem to be well fitted flat, no cracked or loose.

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You need to ply over the ply with a 5.5mm sp101 or fg1 ply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Or skim over all with a flexible levelling compound. Lots to look at tho. Moisture readings, how the ply is fixed and the quality of the ply before levelling over it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. UK Dave

UK Dave Member

Thanks, any advice on choices of adhesive?

7. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

You need to prime & smooth the ply with something like Mapei renovation

8. UK Dave

UK Dave Member

Thanks, I'll look it up.

I realize yesterday the attic conversion has a chipboard floor (moisture resistant T & G), it's very flat and in good condition. Can it take LVT on top as is, perhaps a sealing/bonding coat of some sort first?

9. UK Dave

UK Dave Member

Finally progress is being made. The tiled floor has been coated with Mapei Renovation screed and it came out well. The query I have is what would you advise for the adhesive? We understand we won't be laying these LVT any where near as quick as professionals so would like a product that has a decent allowance of time between applying and having to get the LVTs in place.