Adhesives for laying parquet

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by LisaBrown1983, Jul 22, 2019.

1. LisaBrown1983

LisaBrown1983 Member

Any recommendations for the best adhesives for use on concrete floor for parquet installation? must be suitable for use over UFH. Our flooring supplier is recommendation Bostik MS Polymer Adhesive - but it will cost £550 supply only at the prices they are charging! I have called Bostik and they say that we can just use their Hardwood adhesive, which works out about half the price. But I wasn't sure of the MS stuff is better? All recommendations appreciated!

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

If it’s engineered parquet most flexible wood adhesives will work. Just check they are suitable for ufh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. AngryAndy

AngryAndy Well-Known Member

The Bostik hardwood adhesive contains solvents so I would go with an alternative MS Polymer adhesive. You haven't said how much floor there is to lay for your £550 worth of adhesive or the price per tub so it's difficult to say if you are getting a decent price. I would suggest you look at some alternatives One such alternative is Rewmar MS Polymer, it will certainly do the job for you, and I would expect you to save money. You can buy quite a lot of adhesive for £550 if you shop around.

4. LisaBrown1983

LisaBrown1983 Member

Thanks for this! It is quite a large area - 77m2.

Excuse my ignorance, but why is using solvents not ideal? For environmental reasons or practical as well?

Do you think a MS adhesive is better then? I see Osmo do one, there’s a Sika one or Lecol?

Bit of a minefield and my builder has left it to us to supply so am a bit lost!

5. LisaBrown1983

LisaBrown1983 Member

Thanks - it’s not engineered, it’s solid (but certified for use on UFH).

6. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

I've used fball b95 a few times, no issues

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Oh dear

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You better get some filler to go with the adhesive

9. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Sikabond 5500 three tins covers 48sqm,so I would get four, costs about £75 per tin,lecol 5500 about the same

10. AngryAndy

It's also full of solvents, stinks and at £75 per tub is outrageously expensive!!

11. AngryAndy

What are the dimensions of the flooring? length, width & depth.

12. LisaBrown1983

LisaBrown1983 Member

280mm x 70mm x 16mm. It’s tumbled parquet.

13. AngryAndy

Solvents are flammable, smell and it lingers after installation. MS Polymers adhesives are hazard free, very low emissions(VOC) and it's easy to clean up spillages from the wood or off your hands.
    So definitely use an MS Polymer adhesive.

14. AngryAndy

15. AngryAndy

Because of the flooring being a small format & providing the subfloor is flat enough you could use Rewmar MS Polymer with a 3mm V-notch trowel (B3) which will use less adhesive and you should get 17/18 meters of flooring installed so you would need 5 tubs. I'm pretty sure that Remland Carpets online store would cost you about £400 and that's before you've asked to see if they will do a volume related discount. Always worth asking. if you don't ask you don't get get

16. LisaBrown1983

LisaBrown1983 Member

Thanks so much, will take a look. Didn’t realise how much adhesives were!

Would you normally use a primer or anything before you start laying?

17. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Murexin k509 ms adhesive, good price, about 20sq per tub, check online

18. AngryAndy

No with Rewmar MS you don't need a primer. Just a reasonable dust free, sound base.

19. LisaBrown1983

LisaBrown1983 Member

Thanks Andy - I ended up getting this from Remland! Much appreciated.

20. LisaBrown1983

LisaBrown1983 Member

Hi Andy! I ended up getting this adhesive but out builder says he’s only getting 10m2 per tub - which is super annoying as when I spoke to Rewmar they said that same as you, that we should get 17/18 m2 per tub. He says he is isn’t able to spread it more thinly. Any tips for how to get the max coverage?