Advanced LVT course pics

Discussion in 'Flooring Courses' started by Matt, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

Robroy on here has just completed a 2 day basic and advanced combined course. This would normally be a 3 day course but he asked for a 1 on 1 course so we covered a lot more.

We covered intense subfloor prep to include different compounds , Different types of DPM'S , plywood install, different adhesives, basic install of LVT, then moved into advanced Boarder work to include BENDING Lvt planks around a curve. We also covered bespoke design work.

So here is what Robroy produced -

Ps the products used ranged from MFOR tiles , Karndean plank boarder, Amtico feature strips!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To Book a course -
    http://floorskills.co.uk/

2. bournemouth

bournemouth Super Moderator

Good pics but why no mitres on the borders or do ou not mitre your corners

3. Matt

It was how Robroy chose to do his corners. He preferred the look of 'log cabin' so that is how he ended up doing his corners. We did cover mitered corners also.

4. bournemouth

bournemouth Super Moderator

I see was only because I was on a job yesterday where the customer had 3 rooms done before and no corners were mitred and it looked quite good

5. Matt

always discuss with your customer.

I normally fit two dummy corners (one mitred and one log cabin) and ask the customer to chose which one they prefer.

6. SandyFloor

SandyFloor Well-Known Member

I always discuss it with the customer ......mitred nearly every time.

7. Matt

Most my customers go for mitered also. Its actually a easier method also !

8. coolevilangel

coolevilangel Well-Known Member

do you see a lot/any of bent external corners matt?
    instead of the usual pointed mitred

9. Matt

not sure i understand?

do you mean a miter on the boarder that is not a true 45 degree angle?

10. coolevilangel

a curved mitre instead of apointy one

11. coolevilangel

like this
    Just wondering if you see it done at all?

12. Matt

So actually cuving a plank around a corner or do you mean cutting a curve into the inside edge of the boarder? Obviously if we bent a plank around teh outside edge will be missing a section !

I presume you mean cutting a curve into the corner for a feature strip maybe?

If so then yes we have had similar requests in the past and if we have time we can show. Its very simple to do so not a issue. I presume you mean this?

13. coolevilangel

pic 7
    Im in no way havn a pop, just genuinely curious :smile:
    Why did you do the setout going with the centre of the room as opposed to having it even to the sides of the border?

edit*
    repeat - not a criticism coz it looks good, just wondering if there was a reason :smile:

14. Matt

ye that is what i thought you ment.

We dont include it in the course simply as we dont have time. But we do have a hour of requests of what people want to see. If the above is requested then we will demo it. Its simple enough anyway. People have the option of staying over for a hour after the course has finished to try out different stuff like your pic if they are more advanced than others.

To be fair most one the courses have had there brain fried and struggle to take in any more info like doing the above,

Im thinking of running a 'bespoke course' for people who have attended the advance course and want to mess around doing bespoke designs like your picture.

15. coolevilangel

Do you have to have done the advanced course first matt before getting on the bespoke course?

i like bespoke courses :lol:

16. Matt

I went through different tech with robroy and explained different tech for setting out .

(i presume you mean equal tile on the two side walls and not on teh 3rd wall???)

If i set out so in a way that i get 3 equal walls to someone that is not advanced installer then it is to much info for them. So PURPOSELESSLY i set out the floor in 2 ways. I will get them to install the way that is a common mistake so when they cut the boarder in they can see with their own eyes why and what happens. ( to many training centers make it to easy for people and drop them in the crap when out on a job. Hence i also gave Robin a light plank and difficult tile to work with ! After all why make it easy, its not always in the real world)

Im sure when robroy posts up on here that he will confirm teh above :shock: LOL

IF i set out the floor perfect then people on courses dont actually get to see why what the difference is with doing a 3 wall match or in a larger are a 2 wall centralise.

There is other areas in the training center that are fitted out that when we are teaching we refer to so they can see 'what happens' or the 'correct way' . But like i say, we need to show them so they can see with there own eyes why you dont set out in certain ways in certain areas.

Its all well and good doing a demo and getting everything perfect in a bay i know the sizes off. They copy and think they have got it all sorted, they get to there first job and then they cock it up due to not being shown the above.

Thats why :D

17. coolevilangel

yeh, that makes sense
    Easier to understand the reason for something working by actually doing it 'wrong'
    also makes it something you'll never forget when you do :lol:

18. Matt

Well no :roll:

Problem is that you and i can install LVT and do some tricky boarders without even really thinking about it. We do it everyday so its normal to us.

We have others that think they are advanced but when they actually come on a training course they realise that their advanced is not the same as mine and yours. They should of been on a basics course ! Now this can work both ways. I have had people on a basics course that are far advanced and should be on a advanced or better still a bespoke course ! they can show me a trick or to ;)

The problem you now have is most fitters working at a advanced level will soon start to work out how to do the odd bend like in your boarder pic you have put up. So is there any call for a bespoke course like above? well no, i could maybe get 1 person every 3 months on it.

SO, i prefer to run open days at the center. Lads turn up and maybe someone will ask me how to do a 10 pence corner like your picture. SO i will demo for them or someone like yourself will jump up and say " i know ho to do that and you do the demo . Thats why i like open days as its not all me showing stuff, its great to sit back and see what others have to offer. Thats how we all pick up better methods.

Better still its FREE so we all share tips and tricks FREE.

19. vman

vman Well-Known Member

When's the next open day then? free tips are the best ones.

20. Matt

However, the set out is actually not wrong. The floorcovering in equal between all walls but only its opposite walls. So in a lounge for instance it would actually be correct! But in a kitchen with 3 sides of cubards or in a bathroom then you could argue wrong.

I also demoed for Robin the 'karndean' way. You know where you work off the points of tiles? so you end up with different board widths around the room? Personally i cant stand this way.

We also went over full central a tile design in a center of a floor so you would be working off the points of tiles.

Problem is pictures cant show what we actually did do, well what i covered. The pics are what Robroy fitted and the methods he decided he wanted to put to the test. He did really well and his bending of a plank around a curve is almost perfect. I think that his next job on his own and he will tidy up his 'messy' points (as they was discussed) he will create a very well installed floorcovering.