Advice on poor carpet fitting please . . .

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Jacqueline Warden, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Jacqueline Warden

Jacqueline Warden Member

Hi
    I've just had a carpet fitted in my loft and stairs/landing and it was only when they left and I started vacuuming that I noticed the terrible cutting on the first stair that adjoins the main landing. It's the right angled concave corner in the first photograph and they have basically cut it in such a way that it's clearly visible when walking up the stairs, there is a bare patch down underneath the lip of the stair and of course the carpet is frayed.
    My query is how should this area have been carpeted to avoid this, as when they came back after I had complained, the fitters tried to fob me off with "that's the way it's always done"! The manager is meant to be coming out today, so I'd love some advice on this one please?
    On top of this, the carpet has been cut short at the base of the bannister, which is also fraying (last picture).:mad:
    It looks as though my only option is for them to replace the entire first floor landing as I can't live with it like this :(
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks very much :)
    Jacqui

Attached Files:

2. J d clarkson flooring

J d clarkson flooring Well-Known Member

Firstly the landing has to have a small piece in under the bull of the timber..... this is due to there not being enough material to physically cut and fit the left and right side.
    The way they have finished it off is very poor as you state you can physically see a gap, it wanted a piece putting in and fixing that wouldn’t show gaps.
    If it’s not fitting up to the banister and tucked into the grippers then again that is poor fitting.
    Can I ask what size of carpet was supplied and what was the installation cost. You don’t have to name names but was it also a independent retailer or high street chain

3. Jacqueline Warden

Jacqueline Warden Member

Hi JD
    Thanks very much for your helpful response. The carpet is Brockway Heathers 50oz 80:20 mix. I'm not sure what width they used, but it comes in 4 and 5 metres. Having checked the invoice, the fitting cost was about £300, and they are an independent supplier in Bristol, not a chain. The fitter and sales man have both said that this is how it's done and that it looks fine, but I'm furious at the shoddy work, so it's great to have a second qualified opinion. The company director is meant to call me tomorrow, so hopefully your input will add some weight to my complaint.
    Once again, many thanks
    Jacqui

4. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Dont know how the hell they can say that's acceptable :eek:
    If the manager says the same then tell him you'll be getting in touch with trading standards.
    How can they say it's normal when the triangle is missing, theres a big gap....cowboy outfit!

5. Jacqueline Warden

Jacqueline Warden Member

6. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

I would have put a seam on the step to avoid a missing triangle of material on the nose. But in defense of the retailer, these dumbo stair/ landing building situations always put pressure on carpet fitters. Stairs and landings are not usually built in this illegitimate configuration.

7. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

I’m all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, sometimes accidents just happen but that is no accident that’s someone who shouldn’t be anywhere near a knife on their own. You do have to allow them a reasonable amount of time to correct it which in my opinion is a full replacement, document your interactions between each other and if it isn’t fixed you may need to pay an independent inspector to come out to write a full report for small claims court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Jacqueline Warden

Jacqueline Warden Member

Thanks for the input Samson; the configuration was down to a loft conversion, so the builders clearly didn't think as far ahead as to how the carpets could be fitted!

9. Jacqueline Warden

Jacqueline Warden Member

LOL; sadly there were three of them packing lethal weapons, so there's little hope! Thanks for the advice and yes, I agree with you in that they need to replace the entire landing. In a worst case scenario, where would I locate an independent inspector please?!
    Cheers, Jacqui

10. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

They need to replace the stairs also due to batch shading but your best option for an independent inspector would be sid bourne https://www.sid-bourne.com/
    As Samson said these builders specials are a pain in the backside but looking at the photos provided the quality of fitting isn’t close to standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Jacqueline Warden

Jacqueline Warden Member

Thanks for that T; hopefully it won't have to go that far, but their response so far hasn't been great. Cheers for the info, J

12. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

You would never get that situation of timber build on a new house. That's why I called it illegitimate. The fitters have had to cope with a building botch up where it is impossible to do a perfect fitting job. Most fitters would have tackled it in the same fashion with a triangular piece of carpet stapled or tacked in where the two noses meet which is never pleasing to the eye. This however should have been discussed with you at the measuring and estimating stage.

13. Phil_Cee

Phil_Cee Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree with comments regarding the triangle they've put in, thats normal, but you should'nt be able to see it tbh. I always put that on first, before i fit the step and tack under the bullnose.

14. Jacqueline Warden

Jacqueline Warden Member

Hi all, thanks once again for your extremely helpful posts. The Managing Director has just left having agreed that the work isn't up to standard, apologised and measured up to replace the landing, depending on obtaining a colour match and to include the stairs if not. Your knowledge has been invaluable in supporting my complaint, so when the (different!) team of fitters arrive to replace it, I'll be far better informed! Would buy you all a round if I could! Thanks again, Jacqui

15. Phil_Cee

Phil_Cee Well-Known Member

Result

16. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Good news and glad its getting sorted.....
    ....as for buying us a drink then I can always send you my paypal address :D;)

17. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Hopefully the next fitters will do the job right and you will use this company again, taking into account the amount of money the company has lost due to a bad fitter, yes the manager should have handled the complaint better at the start, but unfortunately shops are in the same position as you, when it comes to a new fitter doing a job, we all only have the fitters word that he is capable, but when it turns out he isn't, it's the reputation of the shop and the other fitters working for that company that suffers