Amtico floor problems, hoping for some advice!

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Olivia Gill, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Olivia Gill

Olivia Gill New Member

Hi All!

I'm really hoping for some advice!

We had an extension done on our house last year with an open plan kitchen / living space across the back of the house - we had underfloor heating put in and the screed level by the builder, then got a local flooring company to put in a latex layer and Amtico. Before the Amtico was laid, the flooring company came around several times to do moisture readings of the builders screed, and they seem like a decent company.

A month or so after it was laid, we noticed gaps between some of the planks - the flooring company came around and agreed that the gaps were larger than usual and that they would re-lay a section of the floor. So they came out to do this, pulled up a section of the floor to reveal a crack in the builders screed. At this point the flooring company said that this was obviously the fault of the builder and we would need to pay them 50% of any further remedial work.

Because of the crack in the floor, we got a CFA consultant around to test the floor and tell us what was wrong - he did a number of tests and concluded that the flooring had been laid before the screed was fully dry, and they didn't use the right adhesive either. He has written an official report which fully points the finger at the flooring company, and says that the moisture in the floor was most likely to have caused the crack in the builders screed.
    I shared this report with the flooring company, who fully dispute it and say that the floor was 100% dry when the flooring was laid. They came out and did some more tests (although, they ended up doing their tests about 6 weeks after the CFA consultant, by which point we had had the section of Amtico up for about 2 months) and proved that it was in fact dry.

I'm not sure I understand why the CFA consultant and the flooring company are getting different results, is this simply due to the passage of time? Could there be another cause of the moisture issue, other than the flooring company laying the Amtico down too soon? I am trying to work out whether I should be pushing for them to replace the whole floor free of charge.

Thanks in advance!

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Was the floor installed before the heating was turned on? How deep was the builders screed and how long was it left to dry before the Amtico went down

What did they test the floor with? Was it a box left on the floor for 2-3 days or a scanner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Olivia Gill

Olivia Gill New Member

Hi! Thanks for your response,

I’m not 100% on the underfloor hearing - it was turned on when it was tested but that would have been before the floor went down. The heating was generally not on at all because it was that really hot summer.

The builders screed was about 50cm deep and it was left for about 9 weeks before the flooring went down.

The flooring company tested the floor with a Tramex scanner.

Thanks!

4. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

What did the CFA guy use ?

And why the CFA ?

5. Olivia Gill

Olivia Gill New Member

He also used a scanner but a different type (a protimeter MMS2 moisture meter). I was recommended him from someone else who had problems with their floor. I wanted to get the crack checked out.

6. Spacey

No wonder they got different readings

Only way to test a slab for moisture accurately and to British standards is by hydrometer box or probe left for a minimum of 72hrs before readings are taken and not just a scanner so there both wrong

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Lol yeah. I can’t see a 50mm screed still being wet in the middle of summer after 9 weeks. The massive crack in the subfloor would be more likely from the heating or movement. I’ve never heard of construction moisture cracking a screed. Did the floor smell damp when it was lifted? you say tested but the heating should of been run for some time before the Amtico went down.

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Was the subfloor a liquid screed poured in or a dry mix

9. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I’m guessing liquid if it’s only 50mm. Was it very light almost cream colour or grey

10. Spacey

Did you actually contact the CFA or the guy directly ?

Are you sure he works for them and not just a member blaging it ?

And Is it The CFA we're familiar with or is it the Carpet Fitters Anonymous?

11. Spacey

And why would the CFA do an inspection on a domestic installation Surely they would refer you to an NICF inspector? :confused::confused::confused:

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

CfA could be any member couldn’t it?

13. Spacey

Could be yes but should this person really be writing reports especially if they're not doing them correctly ?

14. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Lol no way