Amtico Flooring water seaping through.. Help

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Megawilk, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Megawilk

Megawilk Member

Hi around 12 weeks ago I had my downstairs latexed and amtico flooring laid, a few weeks later we had a small leak in an isolated area of it but that was repaired and patch dried out and replaced. Recently we have noticed small bubbles of glue smelling water coming through the amtico planks? It's all over the entire floor but will come out in a couple of different places each day, only a small amount (half a tea spoon at worst). Any ideas what it could be? Thanks in advance

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a leak under the floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Megawilk

Megawilk Member

I fear that may be the case however if it was a leak would the water not just pop up in the one place where the leak is? It seaps out in my study and then seaps through in my kitchen 10meters away?!?

4. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have more than 1 leak then :D

5. Rugmunching

Solid concrete floor yes?
    You have any wet ufh system?

What was the original leak from?

6. Megawilk

Megawilk Member

Yes solid concrete floor with heating pipes running through.

Original leak was in one of the heating pipes but repair and floor broken out 1m each way to check for leaks but no sign of any then. The area where most water comes through is not near the original leak and it is an area with no hfh pipes

7. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Was there any dpm used?

8. Paul webb

Was there any dpm used?

9. Megawilk

Megawilk Member

House is 35 years old, dpm then concrete slab with 50mm screed on top

10. Paul webb

Was just checking, as there could have been a possibility of a leak from a different area running on top of the dpm and pooling in another

11. Megawilk

Megawilk Member

Yes I thought that but unfortunately not, there's no correlation to heating pipes and areas where the water is coming out. I'm utterly baffled

Can anyone advise if it is possible to take up the amtico and relay?

12. Rugmunching

What boiler do you have?
    Have you noticed any drop in pressure etc?

Have you checked carefully to see of any planks are lifting?

Have you checked especially where the seepage has been for hollow screed?

13. Rugmunching

Depends how easy they come up/how well they are stuck, you'll damage some aswell but yes some could be reused if careful

14. Megawilk

Megawilk Member

Old oil powered boiler, still performing as it it had done previously no drop in pressure and heating works fine.

No planks are lifting there is the tiniest bit of movement on the odd one which if you step on a small seep will appear

Sorry not sure what you mean by hollow screed?

15. Rugmunching

I was thinking if any areas of the floor screed had started to blow (crack - lifting from the concrete slab)

16. Rugmunching

If you are stepping on them and water is seeping through then you need to rip the whole floor up especially if it's in random areas and may need to dig down to investigate, im sure you already know but does sound like you have a serious issue somewhere and without taking the amtico up you won't have a clear shot at it

17. Megawilk

Megawilk Member

Thanks for help unfortunately I think you are right and the whole lot needs to come up. I will speak with the floor layer and see if they are able to take up the amtico carefully for reuse after the problem has been resolved (whatever it is)

18. Paul webb

I know I'm probably asking the obvious, but have you checked the bottom of walls and skirting for any sign of dampness?

19. Megawilk

Megawilk Member

Yes been checking this as we only recently had the skirting/mastic jointed and no sign of any dampness.

The amtico floor finishes underneath kitchen units on one side, removed the plinths and there's no sign of any water ingress or egress to the amtico there either

20. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

So new screed with UFH? How long was it left before the floor went down.