Amtico high install cost? Advice please - again :)

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Bananaman, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Bananaman

Bananaman Active Member

Back again, sorry.

After the lack of moisture test from our local CheckATrade floorer, we decided to go down the Amtico approved route for the Amtico Form (£50psqm RRP).

Area:

Open Plan room (requires 37.5m2 flooring). Also requires DPM. It is a newly screeded floor in an extension.

Hallway area (requires 5m2 flooring). Concrete, currently carpeted.

I thought Bradbeers (£4.5K) was expensive until we got the JL quote (£6k). Am I mad or is 4.5K still high for this?

I don’t want to risk a bad install as I have had enough building headaches. However, I would prefer a cheaper ( independent) install if I can be sure of good quality and coverage under Amtico warranty etc.

Any advice please? Based in Hampshire.

Thanks, again.

----

John Lewis quote £5977.12 (extortionate?)

Flooring & materials : £2290.00

Form-Artisan Embossed Wood Valley Oak Pack 152x915mm (6x36") at £125.00 each £2125.00

Amtico High Temp Ex Adhesive 6kg Qty. 3 at £55.00 each £165.00

Charge for flooring and materials £2290.00

Floor preparation and fitting: £3687.12

Supply and lay a 3mm Latex screed per sq metre

Apply a feather finish smoothing compound

Install a damp proof membrane per sq metre

Supply & fit Single Edging, Alloy, 0.9m Qty. 2

Seal floor perimeter

Fit vinyl tiles per square metre

Bradbeers quote (and I thought they would cost more than JL).

Total to breadbeers £3000 for all goods including damp course membrane and to smooth your floor NOT LEVEL

Total to fitter £1500.00 for fitting and putting damp course down and to smooth your floor

Total for job £4500

2. Bananaman

Bananaman Active Member

Also, We really liked amtico because it felt so grippy when stood on (whilst also looking fairly realistic with grooves etc). Are there any other good alternatives? (Quick-Step, Karndean, Expona etc all felt more slippery under foot).

Thanks

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I think £4500 is a good price. JL is always over priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Seal floor perimeter? Am I right in thinking that means silicone round the edge?

5. Bananaman

Bananaman Active Member

Unsure, however we do have a couple of small gaps around the existing screed in corners (e.g. by the manifold pipes for the underfloor heating). Perhaps they are saying they would fill these holes.

6. Paul webb

JL 3mm screed will also just smooth and not level the floor, they just didn't point it out, 4500 sounds like a fair price and comes with the peace of mind that you have somewhere to go back to if you happen to have any problems

7. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

£4500 sounds a decent price

8. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Both expensive 1500 for fitting is a bit steep its 2- 3 days work tops

9. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Don’t undervalue the trade mate. It’s not expensive. Some of us want to earn a living before the knees and back give way

10. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Remember that’s inc vat! I’m guessing? And there’s multiple trips. I don’t like splitting the supply and fit as the markup on flooring is all over the place. I prefer to submit one price inclusive of everything.

11. Spacey

I'm not and I dont
    But I do think alot over price LVT and do a mediocre job and take a life time to do it

12. Spacey

I doubt the the fitter is charging VAT

13. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Plus the fitter has to take the tax off it....I'd bang another 20% on top :D

14. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

£4.5k seems reasonable, you could also look at harvey Maria crasftman collection called m series or moduleo impress, they all have the same textured finish and there retail price will be under £40sq so that could shave off a few hundred pounds too.

15. Paul webb

Depends on the rates for the location, or maybe we are too cheap, i just finished a job, 36sqm, fitted 16sqm 25mm ply, screed the lot, cut up 3ft planks into 12inch parquet, laid herringbone with border £1100

16. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Lol that’s true

17. Bananaman

Bananaman Active Member

Thanks all for your input. I guess coming to the trading forum and expecting people to advise on how do things on a budget is pushing it..but nonetheless I would assume I could save 1k if I could find a fitter I know to be decent and approved (finding them is the hard part)..

Form is £40 psqm online (not the dodgy sites) so circa £1750
    Other materials = £500?
    DPM = £400?
    £2650

Find a fitter to do 3 days work for £800?

Total £3450.

Alternative course of action, wait a few more months and then gamble on not requiring a DPM to save even more?
    John Lewis said I need latex, dpm, then another latex. Is that correct?

Mentally, I am going round in circles.

18. Bananaman

Bananaman Active Member

Thanks.
    I looked at Modeleo at a local shop but again it didnt feel as grippy (or look as realistic as wood). (looking at Valley Oak). I will go back and take another look today - perhaps I saw a cheaper range).

19. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I would say there’s room for movement and you could probably knock a little bit off the bradbeers quote and John Lewis are ripping you off, that’s what they do. I think they are meant to be expensive? Some people seem to like that lol. Just don’t go too cheap or you will end up with a poor job. Recommendations, reviews and portfolios are important and know who’s fitting your floor

20. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You should be able to dpm direct to the subfloor unless it’s really bad. If it all has a mechanical dpm and it’s not a old property you can get lots of 2-3 coat dpms that will work for you