Amtico tiles shrinking?

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Ashley Lewis, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Ashley Lewis

Ashley Lewis Member

Hi, I have an issue with a large conservatory in a new-build house - LVT wood-effect planks fitted a year ago. All was well but now there are gaps at the ends of every plank, it looks like they have shrunk.
    I was told the slab may have expanded but the builders say this is not possible.
    Any advice would be very welcome!

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Tiles were not properly acclimatised and may have not had the correct adhesive under them.

3. Chris waters

Chris waters Well-Known Member

I would of thought wrong adhesive, what did you use ?

4. Ashley Lewis

Ashley Lewis Member

Amtico HT - as recommended. The packs were in situ 24 hours before fitting + were fine for 3 or 4 months.

5. DM Flooring

DM Flooring Well-Known Member

Is your conservatory south facing? Does it get high temperatures in there. Even if right adhesive has been used its still only rated to 27 degrees. This happened to a customer of mine and he was getting temps up in the 40s. I explained to them before i laid the floor they need to put a plan in place when this happens i.e a fan, blinds etc

6. Ashley Lewis

Ashley Lewis Member

Sorry, should have explained - it's not my conservatory, it belongs to a customer. It's west facing, we fitted similar in two houses next to this one with no problems + same adhesive.
    Need to get back to the customer but everyone I talk to just points the finger of blame to someone else...

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Crappy vinyl tiles, they shrink. Not all of them and you can stick them down with the strongest glue in the world but if they gonna shrink they gonna shrink. They should be replaced by the manufacturer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. tomsim94

tomsim94 Member

manufacturers probably won't help you because you didn't use a 2 part adhesive, although that probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway. a part of me thinks lvt is a bit unstable for conservatories

9. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

It's true No adhesive will stop plasticise migration but it's unusual for it to happen so quick Is it possible the tiles where placed late in the adhesive ie working in wet glue rather than dry fitting first ?

Also what is the subfloor and prep what was done ?
    Wood could have expanded or maybe laitence on a level compound could be the couse ?

10. Ashley Lewis

Ashley Lewis Member

The problem I have is that Amtico blame the fitter (30 years experience) for not using enough adhesive (and the right trowel!), the fitter blames the builder for the slab expanding and the builder's pointing fingers at everyone!

11. DM Flooring

Not sure how the slab can be expanding, shrinking yes not expanding unless im missing something

12. DM Flooring

Builders always blame everyone else in my experiance

13. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

The slab won't expand if any thing it will shrink as it dries and looses moisture !

Has your fitter also been using th same trowel for 30 years ? :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. DM Flooring

Amtico may have a point. If trowel was worn and not enough glue down could cause a problem

15. Ashley Lewis

Ashley Lewis Member

16. Ashley Lewis

Ashley Lewis Member

As usual, as soon as the house was finished the builder wanted the floors down - the fitter took the planks to site, screeded the floor and fitted it the next day. The screed is just for smoothing the concrete slab + 2 or 3mm thick. For the adhesive he used a 2 mm notched trowel (NOT the same one for 30 years!;)).
    We've had to agree to replace the floor - in my opinion, the tiles have shrunk but the manufacturers are still blaming the fitter.
    Has anyone argued successfullying with Amtico before?

17. Chris waters

Chris waters Well-Known Member

Would it be worth tacking some measurements of the lifted tiles and comparing them?

18. tomsim94

tomsim94 Member

i had amtico shrink on me before, only about 0.5mm but the customer wasn't happy. Amtico rep came to site and told us to close the gaps using a point of a scraper, and run it along the Beviled edges of the planks

19. DM Flooring

Amtico came out to a floor done by my friend and if you can't get a credit card between them its acceptable

20. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

:eek: