Any ideas?

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Paul webb, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about giving up selling and fitting lvt, i don't want to, but without fitters i can't increase the shop turnover to make it profitable, I'm constantly turning away carpet sales because most people won't wait 2months for fitting, I've just lost a fitter as he's just taken a full time job doing something different,,so I'm now turning away even more sales and need to concentrate on what is the most profitable. Any thoughts? Do you think it would be a mistake?

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Couldn't you just go back to fitting on your own instead of giving it all up completely?

3. Paul webb

The idea of the shop was to give me an income, so I could reduce the amount of work i do and eventually stop fitting altogether, preferably while it's still a choice

4. Rugmunching

Ahh right.
    So is it just the point of not being able to take more work on to pay yourself more pennies or you finding doing what you are doing not enough?

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Put your prices up and be stricter where you put it. LVT is time consuming and the floor prep can be horrendous! Everyone wants it but the reality is half the houses are just not suitable for it.
    What about just selling?

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Just measure up and supply. Then what’s under that old carpet isn’t your problem lol

7. Rugmunching

...it will be when they ring the fitter who's gone ghost :D

8. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

I’d put up the prices to make it viable no point in being a busy fool, strip out anything not worth putting down same on the carpet side of things, always better to have steady work with a healthy profit than running around like a blue arse fly for peanuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Paul webb

I've got plenty of work and the profit margins are ok,it's the turnover that's the problem ,i just can't get the stuff fitted, so the decent profit gets eaten away by the overheads, at the moment I'm constantly booked up for at least 2 months, the sales have been made and will be paid for as soon as it's fitted, if i could get them fitted in 2weeks i would make around £8k more on those same sales

10. Paul webb

The only way i could do that with lvt, would be to drop the prices to compete with the online companies

11. merit

merit Well-Known Member

So you need more LVT fitters? Or the customers holding you up?

12. Paul webb

I need lvt or carpet fitters, preferably both ,although I'm busy with lvt, the amount i can physically fit in a week is limited, especially at the moment with herringbone being so popular, the potential turnover on carpet is much higher and overall would bring in a better profit, but without enough fitters, I'm losing the carpet business

13. Adam Ribbz

Adam Ribbz Well-Known Member

Where’s your work at?

14. Paul webb

Near Preston

15. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Have you tried Dave Merrilees