Any Irish experts here?

Discussion in 'Wood' started by admin1, Apr 7, 2010.

1. admin1

admin1 Well-Known Member

Received the following question in our inbox (from Ireland) about a problem on a product (white deal floorboards) we've never heard of. A quick Google search reveals it's "common" in Ireland and prone to give problems.

Would love to help out, but as we never heard of the product that would be a bit difficult. So, anyone have an idea or solution?

2. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

do we know if its a solid or enginered?

3. admin1

admin1 Well-Known Member

From the "horse's mouth" - received today:
    That would be solid IMHO.

4. joemar

joemar Member

The probability is either the DPC is damaged or none at all under the localised area it may have been a coal bunker/outhouse something of that sort, way back, then altered.Crowning is usually caused by moisture 'below' whereas cupping is generally, moisture 'above'. In any event, it looks as if an exploratory examination is needed underneath.
    mack

5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I'am from Ireland,part of it anyway and have never heard of "white deal". most Original floorboards are spruce "often called pine" or usally soft wood and tend to warp "cup or crown" with age "cupping or crowning" dependant on the direction of the "rings"of the woodgrain, they also shrink in the width showing gaps. they were never designed to be used as a finished floor

6. admin1

admin1 Well-Known Member

Cheers all. I'll pass your comments on and see what the answer is.

7. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Any Irish on here? Well i know there's plenty who like to throw a paddy!