Applying Epoxy DPM over new concrete screed.

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by DIYConvert, May 16, 2022.

1. DIYConvert

DIYConvert New Member

Hi, I have a rough concrete floor which has a bitumen dpm on top but still has rising damp, I am covering the lot with a sand cement screed after priming with SBR and want to apply a 2 part epoxy DPM to sort out the damp once and for all. Could you please let me have your opinions on:
    How long should I wait after laying the sand cement screed before applying the DPM.
    Once the DPM is applied and cured could I then glue down engineered wood boarding as if the screed were 100% dry?
    I cannot get an answer from the DPM manufacturer or flooring suppliers on this one?
    Many thanks for any help.

2. J d clarkson flooring

J d clarkson flooring Well-Known Member

How thick do you intend to apply the new sand/cement screed.
    If you have rising damp you may be better grinding the bitumen off and then applying a dpm then ardex a35 mix.
    I’m sure ardex would be able to advise the best course to take

3. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

If your putting down a sand and cement why wouldn’t You just put a visqueen dpm sheet under it? You could then dpm the new screed after it’s cured and bond engineered to that

5. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Still needs a surface dpm for bonding of wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yeah of course. Still need to dpm the new screed after it’s cured

7. RFS Arkansas

RFS Arkansas New Member

It's essential to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the specific products you are using, as they may have specific guidelines for application and drying times. However, here are some general guidelines:

1. Waiting Period: Typically, you should allow the sand cement screed to fully cure and dry before applying the epoxy DPM. This curing time can vary depending on factors such as the thickness of the screed, ambient temperature, and humidity levels. A general rule of thumb is to wait at least 7-14 days for the screed to dry thoroughly. However, some products may require longer drying times, so it's essential to check the manufacturer's instructions.

2. Application of Epoxy DPM: Once the sand cement screed is fully dry, you can apply the epoxy DPM according to the manufacturer's instructions. This usually involves mixing the two-part epoxy resin and applying it evenly over the surface using a roller or brush. Allow the DPM to cure completely before proceeding with any further flooring installations.

3. Installation of Engineered Wood Flooring: After the epoxy DPM has cured, you should be able to install engineered wood flooring on top. The epoxy DPM acts as a moisture barrier, preventing rising damp from affecting the flooring above. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for installing engineered wood flooring over epoxy DPM, including using the appropriate adhesive or underlayment.
    It's crucial to ensure that each layer of the flooring system is compatible with the others and that proper preparation and installation techniques are followed to achieve the best results. If you're unsure about any aspect of the process, consider consulting with a flooring professional or contractor for guidance specific to your project.