Artificial Grass prep

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Simon Grimley, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

Hi all, I hope everyone is keeping well!

I’m thinking of laying some form of artificial grass as our lawn is too small to worry about mowing weekly and I’m already bored of it!

Has anyone looked into the prep for this? Best advice I’ve found is lay 25mm if sharp sand and then something like Ball & Young Eco Cushion before laying.

Also any advice generally on types or fitting? Thanks all.

2. Mark Henderson

Mark Henderson Active Member

Not a professional by any means but I lifted all the flagstones in my garden and put artificial grass down a few years ago. Just lifted the slabs and dug a timber border in and filled the depth with sharp sand (40mm). Used a whacker plate to compact and Put a weed membrane down. Unrolled the grass and screwed down in the timber frame and trimmed the edges with a knife. The only problem I had is it stunk of p*ss from the dog. Bought every product on the market to try and get rid of the smell and all failed. Some one told me it was because the weed membrane was trapping it and I should remove it. Took it up last year removed it and re-layed it. Never had the problem since. Found it really easy to do and not a lot could go wrong really.

3. Mark Henderson

Mark Henderson Active Member

Just to add to bought the grass off eBay, good price and robust stuff, I’ll dig out the shop name if there still around, recommended them to a few people and everyone ordered through them. I got the realistic effect one that’s 35mm and has bits of hay coloured amongst the green

4. Scf

Scf Well-Known Member

Dig down 100mm, hammer wooden stakes around the edge every meter or so. Keep in mind the thickness of the grass your putting down so you know how far you want to hammer them down for a flush finish. Bear in mind the thickness of the timber on top of the stakes. Screw timber on top of the stakes around the perimeter. Fill 60mm with harcore and wacker plate it down. Put a weed membrane down. Then fill with 20mm of grano and wacker that down, leaves 20 mm for grass to finish flush. Dont use sand it sinks over time. Also wet the grano then wacker again. Lay grass out. Leave for 24 hours, next day cut in and screw down. I'll try and put a pic up but usually struggle uploading even after a screen shot

5. Scf

Scf Well-Known Member

Wont let me upload.

6. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

Thank you both, that’s very helpful

7. David293

David293 Member

Haven't you tried to make decorations in your garden? Do you know the source where to find some projects and schemes?

8. Jason Sheehan

Jason Sheehan Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of doing my patio area later this year. Concrete base so I was going to use Stopgap 850 and then get a exterior glue off FBALLS to glue down. With 850 they said prime with 131 first.