Bad subfloors

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by merit, Mar 1, 2022.

1. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Getting a bit tired of all the builders bad subfloors. There seems to be a massive trend of builders saying they can renovate a house, knock all the old walls out, cover the subfloor in plaster and then think we can install a floor over a open plan area that looks like a quarry pit? Anyone else getting this crap or just me? Why don’t they just allow to re screed the floors!
    Levelling houses with bags of levelling compound 20-30mm is ridiculous. The cost is insane and the subfloors are never anywhere near suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Have it all the time mate. Most builders ain’t got a clue. Just had one now. Told them to get the concrete to 6mm above the floor boards. It’s about 10mm lower as it was done before the wall come down. Now I have to do 40m2 at 10mm to bring it up.

3. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Its just yous two :D

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Lol. It’s killing me. I’ve told the last one it at all needs re screeding. They going to dpm and 15mm-30mm the lot with gypsum. No doors in. Even the screeding company has told the builder to get all doors and windows in, foam all edges and get heating on and then they will do it. The builders been telling the customer we can lay the floor before the doors and lantern are in. When I asked him why he hasn’t filled in the cavities his reply was he can’t until the doors are in. So how do they expect us to lay floor when they can’t even fill the cavities.
    What is wrong with these people

5. Yiddo1982

Yiddo1982 Well-Known Member

No prep work needed as builders have screeded floor and it's decent Screenshot_20220303-223130_Gallery.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Stevie wonders been on the trowel again.
    In fact that’s not fair. Stevie wonder would probably do a better job.

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Looks like he screeded over his white stick too the poor bastard

8. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Sadly not the worst I’ve seen