Bitumen paper over floorboards

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Ben Ward, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Ben Ward

Ben Ward Active Member

Quite a few wood flooring manufacturers specify that bitumen paper should be used when nailing solid wood to floorboards on ground floor. I’ve always been wary of doing this as worried it might increase risk of rot developing in floorboards by stopping all moisture/vapour transfer to room above- any thoughts from others?

Floor manufacturers obviously trying to avoid damage to their product but they’re not the ones responsible for any future problems with existing subfloor.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. brenchy

brenchy Well-Known Member

An inhibitor should be always installed. What have you done instead to overcome this problem ?

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I would say if the subfloor is reading over 18%mc there is a problem which needs sorting before The paper goes down. Solid oak will cup at lower readings which the paper will stop

4. Ben Ward

Ben Ward Active Member

I haven’t fitted solid if mc is above 12-13%. Engineered I’ll go a bit higher, sometimes use timbertech which has a membrane but have used fibre boards plenty of times with no issues. Always a bit concerned about making the subfloor sweat if use a membrane/bitumen paper to overcome high moisture readings, but at same time I’m not happy ignoring manufacturer spec. Interestingly, I was told during a FITA course last year that bitumen paper should never be used for this reason

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It’s a big what if? All I know is we nailed a wood floor down to battens last year. Customer didn’t want the paper put down for similar reason and 3 rows slightly cupped by the doorway where a small damp area was. I personally don’t think it would of cupped if we had used the paper. I think the vapour was in the air not in the batten as they were reading dry. I could see if the reading were really high maybe it would be trapped under and rot the battens, makes sense

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

So really if you find any damp readings they need to be sorted first. I would use it if there were slightly high readings in patches. As you say 12%-13% . Also to protect in seasonal changes. It can’t be used as a proper DPM but as a vapour barrier. I don’t think slightly high readings would lead to your subfloor rotting away.

7. Ben Ward

Ben Ward Active Member