Bona Traffic HD - DIY-able? advice/opinions

Discussion in 'Wood' started by seneca, Mar 8, 2020.

1. seneca

seneca Member

Hi,
    I've had my oak parquet floor sanded and it's ready for a finish. I want something hard wearing, matt and won't darken/change the colour I now have (very light, almost white/beige oak) and keep as natural a look as possible.
    Had a look around and am interested in Bona Natural primer (keeps raw wood look without darkening) and Bona Traffic HD (2 coats, but maybe more can be added.) There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice regarding it's application: t bar or roller, use from tray or pour and spread, sanding between coats of not, 3 coats is optimum not 2, pad for cutting in or brush, cut in small sections and cut whilst working around, get it done very quickly as it sets really fast, roll in one direction only/ no roliing over repeatedly, the list goes on....

This all sounds very difficult and I imagine there are lots of ways to mess it up. Anyone with any advice or thoughts on this product and a best, low hassle way of applying it? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You should use 2 coats of the primer and one coat of HD if your using the product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. seneca

seneca Member

ok. So that's the opposite of what Bona instructions say? Any reason, as I thought top coat was where most wear was affected.

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Actually the instructions say 1 or 2 coats. If your only using 1 coat you have to make sure you get a good coverage or it won’t work as well. Also you can’t sand back the 1st primer coat.

5. seneca

seneca Member

So, if I get this right. one coat of natural primer. Wait a few hours (how many?) then apply a second coat. Denib with 150 grit (I'll use a light wipe across the floor with a hand block.) Dry wipe, wipe over with tack cloth, allow to dry further.
    Apply one coat of Traffic HD, wait several hrs and apply second coat. No sanding in between.
    Is a third coat a worthwhile thing to do? Some same 2 coats, then denib with 150 and after cleaning, a third and final coat. Is that about right? Difficult to find anything definitive, as everyone seems to do it differently. Is everyone right!

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

There’s different ways of doing it but if you use 2 prime coats you only need 1 coat of traffic HD

7. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Unless it's a really big area, i usually apply with a roller from a bucket, applying in a thick coat will allow it to self level ,giving it a smooth finish, if you decide to use a bar,make sure it's lightweight, a heavy one will thin it out too much

8. seneca

seneca Member

my area is around 18m and it's an new oak parquet floor, so I guess I will be rolling in the same diagonal direction of sanding. That means starting with small lengths in the far corner, then diagonal lines across the middle and then all the lines shortening again. My door is in the corner, so it's going to be tricky rolling my way out! What do people use to cut in? a synthetic 3" brush? What's the best roller sleeve? Bona technical sheet just says Bona roller.
    The reason I wanted to do 2 coats of Traffic HD, was the container comes with the right amount for 2 coats. If I did just one, that would be half went to waste. Is 2 coats of natural primer (5 hrs apart), drying overnight, then one coat of Traffic HD in the morning, then 5hrs later a second final coat.
    Sorry to sound a bit obsessive about the process, but just want to have it fixed, so I know exactly what to do and what I need to get. Thanks. Oh, and if someone can figure out where amongst those 4 coatings I should denib, then super!!

9. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Most soft brushes for around the edge are fine, just be careful of drips, they can start to dry before you reach them with the roller and leave small rings beneath the surface, i don't always find it necessary to denib,depends on how the coats come out

10. seneca

seneca Member

Thanks Paul. I've re read the instructions for both and they recommend 2 different ways
    1x Bona Natural Primer 1x Bona Lacquer Light abrasion 1x Bona Lacquer
    or
    1x Bona Natural Primer Light abrasion 1x Bona Natural Primer 1x Bona Lacquer

I'm going to go with 1 primer, 2 traffic, as it seems to make more sense. I see that Bona has it's own roller and sleeve for water based finishes. Is this just a regular synthetic roller? What is the best time to recoat traffic hd? several hrs apart? they do say that more than 24hr drying of lacquer needs a light sand

11. seneca

seneca Member

I've just been asked to look at Tarffic Naturale, which is very similar to Traffic HD, but achieves a similar natural, raw wood and no darkening or oranging of colour, just like the one yo were looking for. Did you comes across it? Apparently it's the most Matt sheen available, more so than extra matt.

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

That would be a safer option if your only using a 1 coat primer