Bottom step of stairs carpet fitting

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by JamesT, Nov 22, 2016.

1. JamesT

JamesT New Member

Hi - Had some new carpet installed on my stairs last week and am not comfortable with the fitting. The bottom step is a bull nose but appears to have been fitted over the top of it and stapled to fit in the corner which looks a little shoddy. Also, it's quite loose. I have the fitter coming back today but want to know if i have grounds for a complaint or is it standard? The previous carpet wasn't fitted this way. Attached pictures so any opinion would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Chris waters

Chris waters Well-Known Member

Hi, was your last one fitted as a cap and band ( pinned to the underside of the lip ) or was it sewn?

3. JamesT

JamesT New Member

Hi Chris - Thanks for the reply. Original carpet was cap and band. Carpet supplier visited last night and agreed the fitting was below par so are going to take measures to fix. Thanks again.

4. Chris waters

Chris waters Well-Known Member

Ok glad it's getting sorted for you .

5. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

yep, thats very poor. Gripper spacing and so on is wrong looking at picture.

6. Nk1

Nk1 Well-Known Member

Fitting stairs is rushed by many fitters. I can honestly say most fitters leave the existing gripper regardless of the thickness of the carpet. Many fitters leave stairs 'baggy' which can be a result of wrong technique, incorrect gripper spacing, knowing how to make the stair fit tight,warming up the carpet. Unfortunately many fitters have an attitude of so the job quickly and do not care for standards. I've worked with many who work like that!

7. Nk1

Nk1 Well-Known Member

You have to ask yourself, if they happily left it before as the finished job......