bs standards and plywood

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Matt, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

whats your thoughts on BS standards being changed to say " you have to use a specific grade plywood on all installs " That grade being a higher quality plywood than what a lot of sheds and flooring suppliers currently sell. Down side is the sheds (if they follow suit) and flooring suppliers will have to supply a higher quality, this will increase the cost of plywood compared to the cheap stuff on the market. Will this effect you? is this a good thing or bad ?

2. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

A good thing... as long as the supplier can compete..

3. nevertrever2

nevertrever2 Well-Known Member

all i use now is the sp101 its what the shop i subbie to use, they get it from hansons

4. scotflooring

scotflooring Well-Known Member

What would happen if the manufacturers ie: Amtico/Karndean specified that it HAD to be used and told customers that so that there was no wiggle room?

5. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

The same as when they say you should use FBall, then they say it should be something else... Does that mean all the floors you have put down before is void??

6. Trimmer

Trimmer Well-Known Member

Like the idea but there's always going to be some that ignore the rules.

Take the money and run guys.

Bet there would soon be stamps available on eBay to ink the sheets yourself

7. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

You could make your own out of half a spud :thumbs

8. scotflooring

scotflooring Well-Known Member

No. it's just that materials/techniques/tools change at a fast pace and if a recognized and BETTER (to be honest the ply issue has been going on forever and a day here) form of plywood is out there then use it and let the other manufacturers get their act in gear and compete against each other for quality rather than price (know it will never happen.) Just sick to death of doing job correct with one eye over shoulder hoping no problems with quality of ply delaminating etc and having absolutely no control over an integral part of floor

9. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

it would be nice if they did but manufacturies are scared of one thing, let me give you a example-

Lets say....

That A**** said you have to use a plywood to EN314-2 (as a example)

But K******* decide not to say this

Well you will have installers who will simply drop the first company as it will cost them more to instal that certain flooring. But they will be able to do a overall similar job for less using the other product as this company are not not telling them to use more expensive subfloor prep materials.

10. Spacey

Karndean already recommended using SP101
    & so do FloorSkills

11. Spacey

I think its it a good idea but it will just be another BS that most fitters & specifier's will ignore unfortunately

12. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Until something goes tits up, the they will say you should have used........

13. Spacey

I know 2 companies that do 1000's of new builds using the cheapest ply possible & also don't moisture test or dpm any floors for LVT & they don't care & have been doing it for years If out goes wrong they just replace it ?

14. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

Supply and demand, sp101 goes mainstream and is used by 5x as many people price comes down, I always use the c&f ply as my local indi supplier keeps it in stock not had a problem with that, kjc's ply is only good for fire wood, over small jobs (1 or 2 sheets) using sp101 over standard ply shouldnt make a difference as the price difference isnt that drastic and you can lose it in the job easily its only on a bigger job that it becomes an issue.

15. Cre8tiveflooring

Cre8tiveflooring Well-Known Member

Just brought a pallet of 6mm sp101 so I'd be happy to see the rules change.

16. Lvtman

Lvtman Well-Known Member

So what happens when your sp101 delaminates? Or something goes wrong. I'm sure the stuff not perfect. We just use timbmet for ours. Don't really get many problems other than it's sometimes dreadful to cut. I only cut it with my knife.

17. Spacey

TBO I'm not that impressed with it I can buy Indonesian ply (which SP101 is) a lot cheaper & looks & cuts exactly the same ?

18. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Where do you get in from Kev.

19. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I think the idea with sp101 is that it is going to be regulated so your indonisian ply might be good this time round but what about in the next few months? Ive had solent telling me sp101 is a big con so I tried thier ply and it was absolute **** so thanks for the advise solent but I think we would be bestter off backing sp101. I dont see how a few £ a sheet more will lose you a job, infact it wont in a domestic job. Contract....well some contractors cant be told and by the sounds of it would rather a floor failed than pay the extra

20. brenchy

brenchy Well-Known Member

I've heard from Lathams that the SP101 comes from the same mill in china and the cheap south house ply not sure how true this is. more than likely they dont know what it is

WISA ply is good its at ticks the boxes, Metrit you have used this before on the Ted todd job in Haslemere im sure you liked it.