Builders Screed.

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by CFloor, Nov 15, 2019.

1. CFloor

CFloor Member

Hi All.
    I’m after opinions and experiences here, walked into a job recently when the screed (water based) smelt like sulphur (rotten eggs).
    Hairline cracks all over and parts were hollow (blown?). Spoken to the builder and said he screeded on top of 20mm insulation boards and that’s why it was hollow and then referred to the supplier who said a ultra flex screed on top would guarantee the floor not to blow.
    Product fitted is LVT.
    Just after any opinions if someone has dealt with something similar. Reluctant to touch it as a stiletto has put 2 holes into the screed and I’ve never had that happen and personally this it should be wood flex or equivalent to begin with.
    Thanks!

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

I wouldnt fit on a builders screed full stop
    And no manufacturer guarantees a floor not to blow

3. CFloor

CFloor Member

My thoughts exactly.
    Builders work is always a nightmare and I think it was more the company who supplied the screed.

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

They will do what’s best give them and as soon as you touch it it’s your problem. Walk away from it, the builder should never be doing the floor prep. They can’t even mix it correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. CFloor

CFloor Member

I’ve obviously walked away from it, I’m more after finding out if you can screed on insulation boards?
    Future reference as it seems about strange and it’s the first I’ve heard

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

For ceramics yes. For vinyl. I doubt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. CFloor

CFloor Member

Seems abit sus to me to be honest

8. Spacey

Yes you can I've done it many times with electric UFH matts

9. CFloor

CFloor Member

Builder claimed it was similar to celotex and used a water mix screed. Cracks everywhere I’ve screeded over UFH mats but 20mm insulation just seems abit dodgy as insulation isn’t completely solid...

10. Spacey

It's best the boards are glued down with flexible tile adhesive The builders have probably just nailed it down hense the cracking They probably have used a flexy but if the boards aren't fixed solid the screed is going to crack everytime no matter what is used

11. CFloor

CFloor Member

Claimed to have glued it down, it wasn’t cracking along the joints of boards it was full of them and the smell of sulphur which normally indicates out of date power/mix

12. Spacey

Just speculating mate but if it's not right and alarm bells ring you've done he best thing and walked away

13. CFloor

CFloor Member

I know mate as I say it’s more future reference, I like to be very thorough.
    Thanks all!