Can I fit my own carpets on site after a 5 day course?

Discussion in 'Flooring Courses' started by Kaine, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Kaine

Kaine New Member

Question, I’m looking to become a fitter but there arent many opportunities for on the job training. there are many carpet fitting courses about many with good reviews, upon completion of one of these 5 day courses would I have enough experience/skill to go to an employer and confidently say that I can fit carpets without aid? Looking to complete one of these courses and jump on site and start fitting rooms but I’m wondering if this will be the case? Anyone who has any experience with these courses please let me know if it’s worth it or if I must just wait to find an employee willing to take me on and train me.

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

You could do a room in your home but couldn’t see a shop letting you fit for them. Maybe find local shops and go see if you can shadow a fitter and learn that way as well.

3. Adamjf82

Adamjf82 Well-Known Member

I think you posted this on another topic as well.
    5 days isn’t long enough to learn a trade. I’ve been doing this 9 years and I’m still learning everyday. By all means do the course get the very basics then visits a local shop (independent not big chain store like carpetshite) see if they have an experienced fitter that needs a hand. That’s what I did, I was working part time in carpet shop after leaving the army and on my days off I’d go out with one of the fitters.