Can I fit my own carpets on site after a 5 day course

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Kaine, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Kaine

Kaine New Member

Question, I’m looking to become a fitter but there arent many opportunities for on the job training. there are many carpet fitting courses about many with good reviews, upon completion of one of these 5 day courses would I have enough experience/skill to go to an employer and confidently say that I can fit carpets without aid? Looking to complete one of these courses and jump on site and start fitting rooms but I’m wondering if this will be the case? Anyone who has any experience with these courses please let me know if it’s worth it or if I must just wait to find an employee willing to take me on and train me.

2. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

After 5 days I probably wouldn’t let you put underlay down let alone fit a carpet, I would recommend some courses to help get you started and ahead of other new starters, but it would be years before I would let an apprentice loose on their own, I would be looking to go as an apprentice with someone and take up a Floorskills apprenticeship with that which is around 18 months for your NVQ and after that you’ll be ready to start learning via experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You need experience. It takes years not days to learn a skill/trade

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Not sure about everyone else but I started by fitting cupboards. And had to do quite a few before I went on to walls, then Worked up to whole rooms. Then do trickier rooms and landing stairs last.

5. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Started just doing prep work, then went on to cupboards in cord doing university housing until I could do that with my eyes shut, then on to rooms then stairs before I went back to cupboards on a decent carpet and repeated, then on to wiltons etc and I was working 6 days solid doing it day in day out, it was a few years before I was ready to go it alone.

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yea absolutely right about the prep. I think all I did was prep for the first 6 month at least.

7. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

:D
    If only it was that easy!!
    If you went to a carpet shop and told them you want a job fitting carpets as you have just completed a 5 day course....well.......:D

Don't take it as a dig though mate, just being realistic

8. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

id of locked you in the cupboard with Matty :D

9. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Haha, my old boss use to say the same after he’d seen my hooking in

10. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I started just tidying up and general gofer, then grippering, then underlay, then refits,then new carpets, didn't do a job on my own until i was 14

11. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

I trained with my Dad and had worked the summers as a kid so I was onto cutting one wall in a room fairly quickly. Even so it was a good 6 months before I was let loose on a room on my own.

Probably took me another 2-3 years to be comfortable enough to work solo and 20 years later I’m still leaning...

12. Lambchop

Lambchop Well-Known Member

I thought I was a good all round fitter at about 10 years in, after 33 years now I know I wasn’t.

13. Adamjf82

Adamjf82 Well-Known Member

I started fetching and carrying, then moved onto prep. After that fitting cupboards, then moved onto fitting straight stairs and square box rooms. It was 2 years before I actually fitted a carpet on my own. I now have an apprentice, he’s been with me 2 years and he’s just started fitting with me, but not on his own.
    it’s not a job you can learn on a 5 day course, the courses show you the basics under perfect conditions. If you’re wanting to fit on sites then you’ll soon learn no new builds are perfect. you could learn to fit bedrooms after doing the 5 day course then you’ll come across a room that’s an awkward shape or needs a join then you’ll come unstuck

14. stan1191

stan1191 Well-Known Member

Took me about 5 years before i was confident and capable enough to take out a house, im now 10 years in and atleast double the fitter i was back then.

Id say 4 to 5 years is what id expect for someone to be up to speed and quality without making mistakes that can take out a house on site and do a good job of it. 5 days i think any self respecting firm would laugh you away

15. Rusty steel

Rusty steel Member

Wow, you wouldn't be able to put gripper down in 5 days without smashing up skirting boards!
    Sorry mate, it's a skill and takes years we just make it look easy ;)
    Like driving you learn the basics then over more time and jobs get better. You can't turn up to a job and say I can't do that!?
    Recommend an apprenticeship, it's how I learnt.
    Good luck and you will cut yourself lol.

16. Thomas Hart

Thomas Hart New Member

The courses are great, but it takes a lot of practice. What age are you mate? Many flooring companies are taking on apprentices a bit older now. Might be worthwhile ringing a few up and asking For courses, I would definitely go to floorskills. They are top notch and a cracking bunch of fellas.