Carpet fitting help if at all possible please :)

Discussion in 'FAQ Section For Consumers' started by Juju1010, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Juju1010

Juju1010 Member

Hello,

I am just looking for a bit of advice as I am getting no where with my fitter. I posted yesterday but just downloaded the app to add photos.

I had new carpets fitted in July and the carpets on both my staircases don't seem right to me.

1) The carpet is not secure at the sides and fully comes up when hoovered on every tread.

2) Most of the steps have bumps forming on them and it's making the carpet already look old. Highlighted some in blue but they are much more prominent in real life.

3) On one step it seems the carpet has been tucked under itself?

I have had the fitter to my house and was told that this is normal but I'm sure it isn't and just want to check before I go back to him. He was quite rude and I just need to check my facts...

The colour of the carpet doesn't help with the photos as it's much worse in person.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Looks like the gripper is spaced too far apart, although I've seen worse and doesn't look like there's a lot of tension on the carpet, so between the two, it's just allowing the carpet to unhook itself off the gripper

3. Juju1010

Juju1010 Member

Thank you!

He's already been round and said there isn't a problem. Am I within my rights to get him back to fix it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It’s too full and not fitted tight enough. The least he could do is take them up and put some spray glue under them if your stair stringer is out. Not stretched and not fixed well at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Paul webb

If the carpet isn't staying on the floor, then it needs to be sorted out, old houses can have a bit of a dip in the middle of the tread through wear,plus nearly all stringers bow, causing a difference in the width of the front and back of the tread, but as merit said, it can be helped with a bit of adhesive or gripper at the sides, even though the gripper spacing doesn't look completely right, the main problem looks like lack of tension, maybe the carpet was quite stiff when he fitted it,in any case, it needs to be rectified, as it's unlikely to get any better

6. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Tell him to refit it from the bottom up using his knee kicker :rolleyes:

7. Paul webb

Just noticed, in the photo, there is about 3inch of gripper exposed, but i can only see 2 pins, maybe it's my eyesight