Carpet fitting masterclass opportunity

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Samson, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

Any apprentice domestic carpet fitters or newly trained carpet fitters interested in joining my company on an employed basis and getting advanced training with a view to becoming the best out there within a year or two? Please p.m. me. Tyneside/Northumberland area. We are based in Morpeth and have two high street carpet shops.

2. Glenn H

Glenn H Well-Known Member

Great offer, good to see people still offering training, might take longer than a year or 2 to be the best out there tho

3. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

I am 60 now and still have to fit a couple of days a week to deal with certain work like patterned carpets, tartan hall stairs and landings, sisal work, and our picky customers. In my experience, most young carpet fitters cant even fit a square room correctly, never mind handle anything needing additional skill levels. The older ones who are average are beyond fine tuning, they think they are brill.
    When lifting up old carpets, we find that 90% of the gripper hasn't even been put down with the correct gap. Cuts in skirting boards, loose and bulging stairs, masonry nails in gripper that is half an inch from the skirting, doorplates short, seams on manufacturers cut edges that are untidy and highly visible.

The trade is in a right state, probably because young kids think they can learn it in a couple of years while being taught from average and below average fitters who have to rush everything to make a poor income because rates are still the same as they were 12 years ago.

4. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

Would only take on someone who had a years experience or two already, in other words someone who could prep reasonably quickly and was very good at it. I don't have the patience anymore to teach someone how to hammer a nail or hold a knife.

5. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Go on old boy, credit to you. Hope I'm still fitting when I'm 50 let alone 60!

6. Andrew wilkinson

Andrew wilkinson Member

Shame you are so far north ! Bit far of a commute from Sheffield :mad:.