carpet tile round architraves

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by butch, Aug 6, 2013.

1. butch

butch Well-Known Member

hi guys busy doing a school in carpet tiles but didnt realise till today how long its taking to cut round door frames (bloody ages and loads of them) anyone got any tips or do most try and free hand thanks

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Get the rubber backed tiles! back mark as much as possible then hook the rest.

3. Nk1

Nk1 Well-Known Member

I just hook blade it in.

4. doidgey

doidgey Well-Known Member

you could undercut with a fein.

Steve

5. Pigsarse

Pigsarse Well-Known Member

I know mate pain arnt they but suppose u can't complain carpet tiles are great on the whole. Except if your doing them for a main contractor and they think that £1 a metre is good rate......

Depends on the tile and arc thin rubber back are a dream but thick bitumen back like burmatex are not one for the hooky in my op.

6. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeh undercut them all mate ! Quick & easier than messing on cutting the shape !

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Undercutting for carpet tiles???

8. peterr

peterr Member

Time consuming is having to cut around 144 holes where stage seating has to be refixed not quick at all !!!!!!!!! There's no quicker way than to freehand as most doorframes are rounded nowadays

9. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Free hand then cry yourself to sleep at night

10. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

I back mark them. Takes time but neat at the end. I Never hook blade the bitumen backed tiles. Nightmare to do.

11. UVcure

UVcure Well-Known Member

I can't believe we are talking about undercutting for carpet tiles, lol
    Just either top mark them or back mark them and get the straight bits done, offer it up to the architrave use a straight knife to eye the shape and then trim a little if your a bit boss eyed, sharpen your blades as you go as the bitumen blunts them

12. butch

butch Well-Known Member

well back on monday only 15 doors left in corridor lol

13. Floorguy1978

Floorguy1978 Well-Known Member

I love a few door ways. Cut my teath with the big contractors in London and the youngsters were stuck with the cutting. There's nothing you can't do with a superhock and a bit of patience. Me and a mate had a floor on one job 1200m2 and 114 glass offices that was two weeks of hell.

14. Spacey

Only a suggestion ! Personally I don't !
    I back mark everything & never freehand carpet tiles either ?

15. Spacey

Bloody hell it was just a suggestion Coz he ask ?
    I back mark every cut on carpet tiles no messing about quick as you like While my brain has a nap !

16. UVcure

UVcure Well-Known Member

its all right Spacey, if you undercut door jams for carpet tiles i understand,you don't have to justify it.;)

17. Spacey

Ha ha

18. LittleFish

LittleFish Member

If really awkward I template with the cardboard box they come in. Otherwise free hand.

19. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

I get someone else to cut them in, I tell them I'll do the middle bit... it's alot harder to do, you do the easy bit around the edges..lol

20. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

If you time it, you will actually be a a lot faster to undercut. Dont forget your only taking the archive out. You are not taking the whole door jam out like with wood.