charging for lvt

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by RMG, Jun 21, 2018.

1. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

Does anyone charge more for fitting 3mm than they do for 2mm?

2. John hayes

John hayes Well-Known Member

Have never heard of it, only different for strait lay/ design / herringbone .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

what about fitting in winter? surely someone manages to?

4. John hayes

John hayes Well-Known Member

Never ever heard of it pal. Shops struggle to sort job sheets without having to sort what mm it is lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

I know you're right but it does take longer. Thanks though, i'll just stick to the one price. For now...:cool:

6. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Winter rates? :D....you serious?
    You won't get far with that one!!

Same rate all year round but depends on what type design (straight/45/parquet etc)

Never heard of a difference in 2mm and 3mm lvt charge either.

7. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

The more i think about it, the less sense it makes to charge different for different thicknesses. I'm going to hit carpet connection with some invoices soon so just figuring out what i should be asking for. I fitted 280m2 of LG hausys and prime/screeded 200m2 in 7 days on some new builds but i didn't have a price agreed.

8. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

and the 3mm was some van gogh 30m2 prime screed and fit

9. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Noooooo :eek:
    LG in new builds....!

Do you usually work this way with some of your payers?
    I've had an experience a long time ago where I did just that and when I billed him he assumed I was just going to base it on a day rate with a little bit more. Eventually agreed in my favour but didnt do much work for him after that.

Think about it, 7 days contracting on a day rate vs m2 fitting price...that's why my payer was shocked.

Why didn't I discuss the price with him BEFORE?
    ...god knows but never again, assumed he was familiar with how it worked but far from it.

All depends if he's expecting you to bill him m2.
    I sometimes do a reduced rate for the 1 shop I fit for depending on conditions/areas etc. His own workers are really helpful to, they drop everything to help me load up, even dropped 600m2 of planking off on a job for me one weekend and scattered them out for me...gave the shop a £50 discount :D

10. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

I've always worked for companies exclusively and i'm now trying to be self employed properly. I'm not comfortable with charging proper money because i don't really have a proper company and have this fear of having no work and income. I think i have the skills and know how to fit stuff to a professional standard but i don't know the first thing about running a business and i get a bit anxious about speaking to shops and demanding a rate. It would help if i had more technical understanding of floor prep and a well organised diary etc.

So it could go two ways from here. I could just accept something like £200 a day and get bossed about expected to work my ass off or i could just write up some invoices using a proper rate and if they don't like it i just have to politely let them know that and start phoning around getting my name about and looking for jobs elsewhere

11. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

But yeah LG :( I've just finished fitting 60m2 of it in this massive house worth about £500,000 and the builder is not happy with it at all, says it looks poo but the next plot is just having a grey instead of oak colour

12. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Jesus :eek:

13. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

It doesn't make sense to me, to be putting low budget stuff in a nice house like that but ohwell, it's nothing to do with my fitting...