Cloud 9 crinkle noise & Tredaire lumpy bits?

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Jojo with the mojo, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Jojo with the mojo

Jojo with the mojo New Member

Trying to choose an 11mm PU underlay for everywhere but stairs, and the 2 most recommended seem to be C9 Cumulus and Tredaire Dreamwalk.

But I have read about the Cumulus delaminating from its backing paper and/or causing a crinkling sound when its walked on, but also a couple of Dreamwalk reviews where people have found hard lumps in the foam that fitters have had to try to an pick out with a knife.

Some of the C9 complaints said that it was 100% laid the correct side down when it was suggested that it might be upside down.

I'm struggling to believe that such big names in the u'lay market are putting out rubbish products - or am I being naive?

Anyone any experience of these issues?

I've considered Tredaire Colours Red but wanted PU for the insulation properties as I struggle to keep the rooms warm as it is and one is over a garage - the tog rating is much higher on the PU's than the Colours Red.

Any advice from you helpful professionals would be massively appreciated. Thanks

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Cloud 9 connoisseur 10mm
    Cumulus is crap, over rated in my opinion

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

When you get the occasional faulty roll it’s usually visible and should not be used. You could also look at a crumb/felt combination underlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

I’ve always used Cloud 9 without issues. I tend to lean towards Caviar and Crystal these days and the 10mm is lovely.
    I had a few issues with Dreamwalk so tend not to use it anymore but that was a while back now.

5. stan1191

stan1191 Well-Known Member

You get the odd little 2p sized lump in foam underlay, its all made of recycled material so it can happen now and then, isnt a big issue to cut it out and fill in.

Never had c9 delaminate under a carpet, but i have on occasion had underlays of many manufacturers where its had a fault in it. Just happens.

The carpet backing is the one i have most frequent issues with, always delamination or an ocean of latex in the backing. And "premium gripper" that has stevie wonder spike and pin placement