Conflicting advice on LVT & Underfloor Heating 3 months ago

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by ticktock, Nov 10, 2019.

1. ticktock

ticktock New Member

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice.

Background: started ripping out kitchen three months ago, became very ill, now massively behind, kitchen arrives in one week, still need to do painting, final electrics and flooring.

Wanted affordable wood look on floor so decided on LVT.
    Last minute decision to install electrics for underfloor heating, wire ready to go.

Had the floor screeded as kitchen now spans two rooms (old kitchen and dining room).

I was looking at laying wire or mats on insulation board and putting LVT directly on top as I read LVT is suitable with UFH - also says this on luxuryflooring website.

Now I see click flooring is not suitable or it must be imbedded in floor compound.

I literally am out of time and options - is there any way I can lay UFH directly on a screed (with insulation board), and LVT planks on top?

If so, how would I go about this?

Thank you very much!

2. ticktock

ticktock New Member

(Please ignore ‘3 months ago’ in title).

Had a thought, could I cut a channel in the insulation board and push wire UFH into the channel, that way there would be no pressure damage from the LVT?

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You can’t lay a 2.5mm vinyl floor direct to ufh matting. The matting needs to be covered in a levelling compound. You will need to get a flooring pro in to check the ufh. I’ve seen so many bodge jobs with ufh. Are the boards going to be fully bonded? Have you contacted the manufacture of the ufh and the LvT because you will need to cover your backside. Most say the matting needs to be covered with 10mm of smoothing compound before lvt. Also most of the insulation boards are designed to have ceramic tiles installed over them and don’t look strong enough for lvt to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Marmox boards are the best for ufh as they are pre channeled

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Is that for wires or water tho?

6. ticktock

ticktock New Member

Thanks for the replies, based on this advice I will have to pass on the UFH!

Just got to figure out now what to do with the electrics I have wired up...maybe an internal light on the larders

I was going for click LVT, but seen recommendations for stuck on planks - what’s the general advice, and what is the difference regarding additional flooring materials for either?

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Most clic lvt is naff and untested. Also if there is any sunlight ie windows doors etc your Warrenty is void with most clic. It can only be installed in the dark

8. ticktock

ticktock New Member

Thanks!

Is the stick on plank the same as the click, other than it’s stuck next to one another rather than clicked together?

Hadn’t considered stick on plank previously, is this diy’able?