Considering career

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by pjay65, Jul 31, 2018.

1. pjay65

pjay65 Member

Hi y'all, I'm a 53 year old male, seriously considering a carpet fitting course to maybe do it for a living, I've laid carpets (domestic) for over 30 years, and quite a dab hand at it, however I am only too aware of the fact there is a huge difference between some guy doing it, & a pro...
    Ide love some advice from pros & anyone really, if possible, am I too old to consider a career in the trade? Are these courses worth it? Do companies take on guys my age?
    I'm certainly NOT interested in taking work away from seasoned pros, or anyone, so please be friendly, I'm just after advice as I've always fancied it but due to family commitments etc its been out of my reach....till now...
    Cheers guys/gals
    Nice to meet you.
    Paul.

2. coolevilangel

coolevilangel Well-Known Member

It can be quite stressful on the joints, back/knees etc
    Personally at your age, I’m looking to get off my knees, not get on them.
    Just my personal opinion and not a dog towards yourself.

3. pjay65

pjay65 Member

Thanks for your reply, I agree my knees/back do suffer somewhat when I fit a carpet for a friend etc, but I've always kept myself very fit, and recover very quickly, I lift weights regularly and don't suffer too much and not ready for the pipe and slippers just yet, lol...as I've only got 14 years to retirement I thought it would be a chance to give it a go...
    Really appreciate your advice, thanks again.

4. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

I'm 53 this year and I'm :eek::confused:

5. Roidsey

Roidsey Well-Known Member

I'm 38 Paul and I feel f###ed!,trouble is I love it,If you feel fit though give it a go, nothing worse than what if!

6. pjay65

pjay65 Member

Thanks guys, yeah i know how hard the job is and you guys do it day in day out, so hats off to you.. Think I will definitely do the 7 day intensive course, you only live once after all...
    Any advice regarding the job, industry, etc, what to expect, pitfalls, expectations, and good/bad things about being a full time fitter will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks all :)

7. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Did the Floorskills level 1 & 2 last year. Amazing course. I couldn’t fit carpets before to a high standard and would like to think I can now.

8. pjay65

pjay65 Member

That's who I want to go with, they look very professional.
    Quite reasonable prices too I think.

9. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

If you don't mind a reality check:

Most young lads after 3 years intensive training and practice are rough fitters unless they have perfection and outright determination hardwired into their brains before they even begin. Most apprentices break down after a few months and look for something less demanding. They have to be very strong physically too.

It takes at least 6 months of installing underlay, gripper and door profiles to become competent with ones hands and the tools that one must use before even beginning to cut carpets. This is more often a year.

There is a vast amount to learn. The skills have to become second nature. There is no room for error.

Carpet courses are usually attended by those with at least a couple of years training.

If you think you want this, in my honest opinion you should offer yourself as a cheap assistant to a carpet fitter for a year before considering any courses.

10. pjay65

pjay65 Member

Ile take into consideration your advice, thanks. I understand its a lot more than just cutting a carpet & making it fit, I know out of my depth, but even if I just learn enough to do a good job for myself & family, itle be worth it. Thanks again, really appreciated.

11. Roidsey

Mate you sound keen to do it don't listen to the negatives crack on and I bet you'll love it

12. pjay65

pjay65 Member

Thanks mate, yeah I am going to..lol. No negatives taken on board. I appreciate all advice, anything I should know with regards to applying for jobs once qualified?

13. coolevilangel

coolevilangel Well-Known Member

Once qualified means nothing imo
    Retailers/contractors look for experience more than anything else (good experience I might add pmsl)
    I may get flamed for this, but probably your best bet is to get yourself a van/tools and head to nearest Cpt right/tapi etc

14. Roidsey

Your right qualified doesn't mean your a great fitter but it shows you've got drive to learn and if your keen as mustard that means a lot in my book

15. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Do as many courses as you can, buy quality tools (they’ll pay for themselves), try and go out with a good fitter for a few months working before going on your own, head to CR, Tapi etc and subbie while picking up your own odd jobs and build from there, and never put all your eggs in one basket or burn any bridges if you can help it. For your own work don’t sell yourself short, price accordingly, use quality materials and don’t try to compete with joe bloggs carpet cowboy it’ll always come back to bite you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

Yeah, go on a 4 day course from scratch. You'll be fully qualified and experienced and able to tackle anything. You will have learned some skills even pro's don't know about. Show your customers how you can gripper stair winders, and can do things back to front. Go on your own and become self employed. Remember, you will have almost a weeks training. Working with a tradesman for a few months will help too.

17. Roidsey

Seriously man, give the guy a break

18. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

He is being told he can go on a few courses, work with a fitter for a few months and then go self employed as a fitter.

Seriously?

No wonder this trade is full of cowboys.

19. Roidsey

Everybody starts from scratch, if he's keen gets on courses and works hard and LEARNS like we all did he'll be fine if not then that's up to him a!, it's called encouragement pal!, your just negative in every bloody post I've read!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Anything can be done if you put your mind to it.
    I have a mate who worked in retail for 15 years and hated it.
    He is good at Diy and I said give me a hand on your days off.
    I let he come with me on a few jobs helping then he said he loves doing Lamainte.
    He then did then quickstep basic training course.
    Within a year he left his job and now is self employed fitting Lamainte for me and a local shop. His work is spot on too.

So imo if your good with your hands and have care and attention then go for it.
    Like some of the lads have said try and work with other fitters as a helper for a year.