Course info

Discussion in 'Flooring Courses' started by okcomputer, Aug 18, 2020.

1. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Hi , I’m looking to change my career and I’ve been thinking about getting into carper fitting and flooring for a while now. I may have an option of training with someone soon but not sure yet.
    Anyway I have a couple of weeks holiday at the end of the month and there is a position available on the FITA basic carpet course, it’s quite expensive but I’m considering booking up this week, just wondered if it would be worthwhile or not ?

thanks

2. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

It’s a start but it really is the basics of carpet fitting, personally I would recommend finding a good fitter you can shadow, book all the courses you can and do the apprenticeship with floorskills, 1 course really isn’t going to do much for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Ideally I would like to work with someone if I can. I’m also in Scotland, so unsure what’s available here course wise.

4. Floorever

Floorever Well-Known Member

Glasgow college do a flooring course I think so you could enrol on that, it would be one or two years. Probably 1 day a week.
    That plus an apprenticeship would be the best route!

5. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Great, thanks for the replies. I’ve emailed the college for more information.

6. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

I’ve opted for the floorskills basic carpet level 1 and 2 will give me something to do in my holidays . Also I’ve managed to arrange work a couple of days a week with my pal who’s a joiner doing kitchens and bathrooms.

7. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Great course that. I did it last year. Learnt loads.

8. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

That’s good to know, wasn’t sure if I was wasting cash or not. Hopefully a good starting point for me.

9. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

The main instructor Rob is another level. Used to sub to me years back. Knows everything mate so you will be well looked after.

10. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Excellent, feel better about my decision now. I’m desperate to get into the flooring industry.

11. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Where in ScotLand are you

12. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

I’m in Dumfries

13. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Pity your not up Elgin way as my mate has a shop that way

14. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Year bit of a distance. Thanks anyway