Cowboy builders.

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by dazlight, Jun 6, 2015.

1. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Did a job for a builder few months back. For a nice customer.
    Karndean looselay on jumpax. Job worth £5k
    I never met the customer till need the end.
    He was paying me in small amounts.
    Anyway he has done terrible work at this job and had the lady in tears.
    He owns me £500 still an I finished the job as felt sorry for the lady.

He kept saying he would pay me the rest but after loads of promises he ain't.
    Now he has deleted his mobile number.
    I spoke to the painter who got his money yesterday and found out where he's working now. I want to go round and see him and told the painter that. I said I'm angry an want me money.
    Got this email this morning.

Dear all.

With totally regret I have to inform you that of 12.45pm Tuesday this Week I was declared bankrupt by Liverpool courts.
    The business is now bankrupt as myself is.
    This was not the out come I was hoping for.
    The official receiver will be in contact with you all very soon. If you have any questions please direct them to him, as I have no answers for you.

I have be advised to add this to this email.
    It is now a criminal offence to contact me to demand monies or come to my home. I have every intention of informing the police and the official receiver of any threats or actions by anyone as I have a family and children to consider.
    My bankruptcy number is 429.

With total regret again this was not my intention.

Kind regards

His name is Lee Jones and his company ( which I think is made up ) is
    Crosby building services.

What would you do?
    Go round and see him and have it out with him
    Walk away
    See customer he did job for.

I'm mad more as heard he's ripped off loads of customers.

2. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

Id check before you go round that he is actually going bankrupt, and does he have form for this? you can check from a quick £10 credit check if you have heard stories likelihood is has a number of former companys that have been popped.

3. pf flooring

4. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

I've searched all over he's not anywhere. I don't think he's a rap company. I just spoke to the painter. He said his girlfriend told lee girlfriend that I'm on the warpath an he must of sent that email after hearing that.

5. pf flooring

Id go see him then as it sounds like he made it up to throw you off the scent, hope the customer is in on that job as that will help that or maybe even sell the debt on if you know someone who gets involved in that kind of stuff...

6. Cre8tiveflooring

Cre8tiveflooring Well-Known Member

Sell the debt. I've taken people to court for less amounts than that. It's the principal of the matter. I'd check it out first, then 'bump' into him at a builders merchant and make a massive seen.

7. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes:110% go round there and confront him, let him tell you man to man then let him know in the nicest way that what goes around comes around.

About 3 yrs ago I had a similar problem with some dodgy outfit but was nowhere near your total figure but still it pissed me off that he fed me a load of bullshit saying he might have to file for bankruptsy bla bla so I kindly told him that its something id never forget as he still owed me £800 from a £2700 bill. Im not going to lie I did get a bit carried away when I bumped into him in our shopping center when I was with my mrs and kids and he was with his mrs so I literally pulled him aside and told him in the nicest way that I knew he was taking me for a twat and I would make sure that money that he owes me will cost him 3 times that in other ways. Again guys I probably could have gone about it other ways but it was the fact that he just blagged me with far to much crap that it was getting ridiculous and id turned away work to help this fool out...

So it was around 2 weeks later I heard off a good source that he was bragging to certain people about how he supposed to have told me where to go, him not happy with the quality of work and how I wouldnt turn up till 10am and leave by 3pm etc so I just thought this guy is taking me for a right idiot now. I decided to go round his house that same evening and yes I kicked off as I couldnt help myself any longer, this guy was taking the piss and he still hadnt filed for bankruptsy like he was saying he would. Basically it got to a point where I was helping myself to his tools out of his shed then threatened to force my way into his van. There was no children there else I wouldnt have done what I did. I actually got my mrs to take me round there incase he had a few of his mates round and gave me a good beating that I couldnt have drove myself off in my van lol...but it worked after about 2hrs of back and forth he folded and I actually got a Paypal gift payment for £500 all he could afford he says (never had a paypal payment for work before ha) there and then which I withdrawn to my account straight away, virtually brandnew cordless makita jigsaw,dewalt chop saw and I took all 5 boxes of gripfill he had in there :D thats all he had worth taking really. Working it out I was still around £75 down. Whilst all this was going off, his mrs was mowing the back garden showing no interest at all lol. In fact I reckon if Id have stayed longer I would have got a cuppa out of her.

Yes I know I could have been arrested, I could have been hammered by him or whatever at the end of the day I wasnt having it anymore and once something clicks thats it as most of you will know, once that button is pressed, its red mist.

I got a lecture off the mrs more so for the fact id put the chopsaw on her leather seats and marked the seat bolster :rolleyes:....and one of the boxes of gripfill was past its date!!!

Ive probably seen him a handful of times since but he wont make eye contact, he's still in the game though and from what Ive heard not long gone through a divorce. She must have had enough of all the trades coming round for the money he owes them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Diesel10

Diesel10 Well-Known Member

I hate scum like that. Makes us honest fitters/traders look like con artists when we say things that customers ain't heard of like use SP101 they think we are conning them .

I use solicitors called Thomas Higgins (www.thomashiggins.com) they deal with business to business and there charges are cheap . Only £2 for a letter. Use them. Or redwoods collections .

DONT LET THIS CU*T RUN OFF WITH YOUR MONEY

9. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

He has emailed me this letter too

Attached Files:

10. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

I`ve used them too, and found them cheap, and effective.
    Often, just the initial letter get a payment, but I have had to wait, until I set a court date. Never actually got to court though.

11. TonyA

TonyA Well-Known Member

Daz forgive me if I'm being naive or just stupid but why is the letter not addressed?

12. Diesel10

Diesel10 Well-Known Member

13. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

I know someone where a customer not s builder to be fair refused to pay a bill of thousands for a large amount of wood, so after many many letters etc, the guy I know put a hose through the letter box and soaked the flooring!!
    Nothing ever come back from it, no money was ever paid back, but he felt better after doing it.

His work is always to a high standard so it wouldn't be that the work wasn't up to standard.

Anyway - darren find out where he drinks and have a chat with him

14. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Don't know tony. I noticed that.

15. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Bumped up for the lads

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Janet Moakes

Janet Moakes Member

Hi this Lee Jones you're talking about has robbed my 79 year old mum of £1.230 was supposed to be fitting a kitchen gave him the money 3rd of July he didn't show up on the day. He won't answer his phone, can you tell me how you got on please. Janet

17. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

When was this? This year ?

18. Janet Moakes

Janet Moakes Member

Hi
    Yes this year my poor mum is in bits
    I keep asking for the money but he won't answer his phone, he did text me a few time saying he would start to pay her back, he hasn't, don't know what to do.

19. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Can’t believe he’s still going. A few years ago he was told to stop doing jobs for people by the courts. Looks like he didn’t care. Do you have any invoice details for him.

20. Janet Moakes

Janet Moakes Member

I know what a rat he is, on the invoice I've got, the address on it don't think he lives there. I've got the bank transfer details too, I heard over the last few days he done it to loads been to court for robbing people.