cutting in goliath

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by neilwiz3, Jul 12, 2014.

1. neilwiz3

neilwiz3 Well-Known Member

Do you guys have a certain way of cutting the thick stuff or just the same as normal,
    The way i hold the knife using a superhook blade cuts the thinner ones fine but always cuts thicker stuff too big and end up messing about skimming extra 1or 2mm strips off that can be a pain, is this normal or do i need to try different angles to hold the knife,
    Thanks in advance:thumbs

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Try scribing or making a template

3. Bow Flooring

Bow Flooring Well-Known Member

I use superhooks but I can only use the janser ones any others and they ain't sharp enough
    I always cut larger on first cut then trim in on thick stuff
    I prefer fitting really thick vinyls compared to thin
    had some Goliath today :) uploadfromtaptalk1405190757232.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1405190768803.jpg

4. coolevilangel

coolevilangel Well-Known Member

I just adjust my hand angle/depth of knife etc to accommodate the thickness of gear

5. Spacey

I've never even tried any other hooks apart from the bog standard ones from the wholesalers ? Never felt the need
    I know a few guys who use a concave for vinyl & even one guy who uses a straight ?

6. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

try the floorfit super hooks spacey one time, you can buy them in little packs of ten for a few quid, much better than standards for carpet/vinyl.

7. Spacey

Don't use many hooks anymore a box lasts me forever I'm mostly doing LVT & when I fit sheet SF on the flat I scribe with a straight edge & concave hardly ever free hand anythig any more
    I might try them when I run out though

8. nevertrever2

nevertrever2 Well-Known Member

when fitting vinyl I drop all my points with a straight blade, then fasten down with double sided, after that I cut it all in with a concave blade 2 passes one to get the vinyl slightly big then the next pass to get it spot on.
    I do cut round basins and toilets with a hook though, this is my method and to be fair with a concave you cant go wrong, I did used to do it all with a straight at one time,
    it takes me 40 to 50 minutes to do a average bathroom and its neat but I get plenty of practice as the firm I subbie to for a couple of days give me all the fiddly vinyls so you get quick with it.

9. nevertrever2

I use hooks mainly on carpet you can cut in with hooks and not mark the skirting:p
    I know the fitting police mighnt not like it but its true haha, when I went on the fita course they were saying cutting in is a no no but then tried selling you a tool that did exactly the same method, to be fair i bought one later to test used it on a 100m2 and never used it again great for the diyer though.

10. Spacey

I was taught to fit carpet NICF style from day 1 so I hook on & use a trimmer but I sometimes free hand just for change ! Not that I bother with fluff anymore

11. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Can beat a bit of RugTucking!

Straights/Concs for lvt
    Concs/hooks for cushion floor & vinyl
    Straights for carpet tiles
    Concs/hooks/straights for sheet carpet.

...Hooks for Laminate.....:eek:...... :cheers

12. Steve cane

Steve cane Well-Known Member

When fitting Goliath i always hook it in then if needed trim it with a straight blade. Lovely stuff to fit in tge winter lol

13. Steve cane

no need! It's a thick cushioned vinyl not safety flooring! By the time you've made a template etc you could of fitted it, you've been on too many flooring courses lol

14. Steve cane

spot on thats how i do it!

15. nevertrever2

that's how I fit stretch out first then cut, but instead of the trimmer I use the best tool ever my hand.

16. pf flooring

Not wanting to sound sarcastic but how else would you fit carpet? obviously the hook knife/trimmer is just down to choice but the actual method is set in stone isnt it, stretch cut stretch tuck repeat on each wall, or is that not what you meant by nicf style?

17. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I hook in just short then silicone, sometimes double sided tape if it doesn't lay flat. only do sheet vinyl in bathrooms really so needs sealing anyway

18. nevertrever2

some people prefer to cut the carpet first then stretch then tuck, you can end up tucking too much carpet down the gripper this way and it bubbles up off the gripper.

19. Spacey

Yep that's the way I didn't mean !

20. pf flooring

youve defo earnt your spurs if your fitting like that! wouldnt have correct tension on the carpet and it would wear quicker.