Designer contracts

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Dave Hearn, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Dave Hearn

Dave Hearn Active Member

Anyone had any dealings with designer contracts? and are they any good to work for or not worth bothering with?
    thanks

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Very big contract company on the new builds
    Never had any dealings my self but heard they don’t pay the best but you can get a lot of work through them
    No idea if you actually get paid

3. Dave Hearn

Dave Hearn Active Member

Cheers space, just thought nice bit of regular work but if the rates are crap not worth it.

4. Spacey

Just what I heard mate No harm in making enquiries plus never take the first offer ;)

5. Dave Hearn

Dave Hearn Active Member

Got nice range of lvt exclusive to myself if you want some? Find me on fb.... flooring technologies

6. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

I get calls a lot of firms saying they have loads of work but no fitters. Mad how they take big jobs on with no one to lay the flooring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Spacey

Nah I’m not a fan of J2

8. Spacey

Lays it’s self these days

9. Spacey

Plus I’m not on bitchbook

10. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Lol, that is the perfect name for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Dave Hearn

Dave Hearn Active Member

Had the guy on from DC telling me the rates £1.75for screeding? No fuel charge so to do a 10sqm kitchen they wanted to pay me 17.50 and it was a 56 mile round trip.

12. Spacey

Did they buy any J2 off you? :rolleyes:

13. nevertrever2

nevertrever2 Well-Known Member

You would get a minimum fit of £70
    I've done work for them in the past, if you are doing small jobs for them there's no point, big jobs you can earn ok but nothing special.

I went into Capet right the other day just to see how much they pay, £10 m2 for fit only (customer prep)
    £60 for screed for 5m2 no matter how deep and you supply screed, primer
    I think you supply the adhesive for the £10 , I don't think there's a minimum charge,

Theses places will drive the price down, good fitters will end up working for these prices because it will end up being the norm.

14. Dave Hearn

Dave Hearn Active Member

What were their payment terms? Inc a week? Or monthly? any other problems? Still toying with the idea just to fill them odd 7 or 8 days a month.

15. Jasper

Jasper Well-Known Member

Customer pays you direct
    £60 per unit of screed ( 5 m2)
    primer £1 per m2
    Carpet £3 m2
    vinyl £3.6 m2
    Min carpet £36
    min vinyl £48
    Min lvt £100

16. nevertrever2

nevertrever2 Well-Known Member

DC pay every month, should be every 2 weeks but ends up being every month, you do get a little bit of diesel paid depending on how far the job is from the branch you pick the flooring up from,

everything is glued with Amtico high temp so tiles with strips can be nightmare, especially on the 45, you don't get any extra for strips or 45 just basic m2 price,

they always pay for a good job, but if anything goes wrong (tile lifting ) they will send other fitters out to change at your cost or you just don't get paid, I've been to a few, fitters trying to bash it down because of the low pay and they go into the HT glue too late so any temp increase the tiles pop.

Where are you based Dave?

17. stan1191

stan1191 Well-Known Member

Have worked for them before, on and off when work went slow,the depo in biggin hill pay £3.50sqm for carpet plus parking and a minimum fit.

We done some flats at balham for them and they paid 20 odd quid per plot for parking weather it had 1 room or 2 rooms and a hall and lounge,so after doing the 4 floors in a week wed earned a few hundred quid just in Parking.

Never had any trouble with money from them,but their warehouse gets busy in the morning and you have to cut all the work up, and besides the manager who used to be a fitter,the rest dont really understand the problems and solutions to a days work.

18. Dave Hearn

Dave Hearn Active Member

Based in Coventry