DIY LVT (for a good cause) stage 2 - the dark arts.

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by neilrj, Oct 25, 2017.

1. neilrj

neilrj Active Member

So I bit the bullet and did the SLC madness - to be honest the prep (dams, hole filling, mixing paddle ON SDS!, tools (see attachment) - everything really) took far longer than mixing and pouring said (BIG) bucket of sludge, so now ALL (!!) I need to do is stick my LVT down - well obviously it needs to be KE66 ;-) or at the very least Karndean Universal, but where can I get that in Darlington, or nearby? A supplier in Wirral is good too as that is my 'commute' whilst I'm helping Aunty out :-(

When I initially looked at taking on this upgrade job on for Aunty I did waiver a bit on getting into your dark arts but I'm well pleased with the SLC, the various posts about 'you need this' helped and certainly a spiked roller for £23 was essential - the pin leveller (@£85) I couldn't justify, but my DIY one worked a treat as an elaborate squeegee - I could actually feel the SLC was slumping in places (you'd swear were flat!). How my laying of LVT will go will be interesting!

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Well good look

Karndean Univeral is Ke66 btw

3. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

My unit is in the Wirral. Eclipse Flooring , Moreton if you need anything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

What LVT you after ?

5. neilrj

neilrj Active Member

Bizarrely I was coming to see you on Monday as I'd seen your place on the way for dog food at the Dog's Diner only last week - In fact I'd have called in then but I was running so late! I just need some KE66/Karndean Universal in smallest tub 5L/6kg tub size - only doing 3.5m2 so don't need much at all.

I have the flooring already as that was chosen and bought by a relative helping out on the project - Karndean VG DV or something - a dead painter anyway!

6. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

I’ve out most days fitting but my cousin is there.
    If you want a part drum I can sort you some out. Just need to know when your coming and I’ll leave it out with Gary. I’m there every morning 7-45 - 8-45
    The. Back at the end of most days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Seem to spend most my life with dead painters :confused:

8. neilrj

neilrj Active Member

Monday just before lunch say 11, if it's quiet then?

Sent from my Moto G 2014 LTE using Tapatalk

9. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

10. neilrj

neilrj Active Member

I don't have the arms of an Orangutan so a long handled stick was a good thing for a 3m reach - me and mess need to stay well apart ;)

11. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Bloody'ell you not done it yet?
    You can kneel on the ground you know and screed it!!

12. neilrj

neilrj Active Member

It's all done, I couldn't kneel really as 55kg of SLC powder and 8L water ('kin heavy) when tipped out flows much faster than I could crawl backwards! I have to say it looks superb and I'm well pleased, in any case a (50p ?) pin leveller/squeegee needs playing with AND I have to say the spiked roller was really therapeutic.
    If I did do another SLC slab I probably would pour less sludge but more often, and trowel it, but then I might run out of time!!

Sent from my Moto G 2014 LTE using Tapatalk