Do new carpets 'burst'?

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Clifford Harrington, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Clifford Harrington

Clifford Harrington New Member

We have had a replacement carpet fitted as the previous one developed something that I can only describe as a tram line across the width of the carpet every four feet or so. The new carpet it replace does not feel as thick / plush. When I measure the depth it is currently 1-2mm shorter than the carpet it replaced. The supplier has been round to inspect and has advised that the carpet needs to 'burst' as it has been rolled up and therefore compacted prior to installation.

Does this sound reasonable? I do hope this is the case because we do not want to go through having to replace again but I cannot find anything on the internet that refers to carpets 'bursting' post installation.

Thank you for any guidance.

2. d'Arcy

d'Arcy Well-Known Member

Have they supplied the same weight?

3. Simon Beverley-Smith

Simon Beverley-Smith New Member

Yes, it is quite possible that the carpet needs to burst. But check the specification supplied. It can also depend on the fibre the carpet is made of and what sort of quality you purchased.. Man made fibres flatten more. If you imagine a huge roll of carpet, stood in a warehouse for months, the inside of the roll will be more compressed than the outside. Vacuum the carpet regularly to see if it will improve.