12.8%
  3. Yes if self sealing valve we are allowed to remove

34.0%
  4. No we are not allowed to remove

31.9%
  5. I dont know if we can remove or not

8.5%

Do you disconnect Gas cookers?

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Matt, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

So how many of you remove and refit gas cookers on the self sealing gas valve system?

Do you know if we are allowed to remove them or not?

Please fill in the poll above with your two answers!

P.s nobody can see who voted for what!

2. Matt

Test PDF

The new gas regs etc.....

Basically yes you can remove the cooker. But read below to make sure you understand the rules!

[pdfview:zqrbq9sc]http://www.theflooringforum.com/attachments/TB025.pdf[/pdfview:zqrbq9sc]

3. bladerunner

bladerunner Well-Known Member

That is different than actually undoing pipes or wires.I hate it when you have to disconnect the wires from a plug in order to move appliances when being fed behind units etc.

4. Matt

? You can only remove a gas cooker if on a self sealing fitting.

Going back to the electrics. You are allowed to unwire and re fit them providing you dont mess with the main feed from the fuse board.

5. bladerunner

bladerunner Well-Known Member

Thats good to know but my missus wouldnt mind if i did mess with the BOARD but i reFUSE.

6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

You see I won't do it because I don't feel competent enough to do it would the gas man be competent enough to install the flooring no so I for one won't touch it. The main reason for this is I use to until one day I disconnected one and the so called self sealing valve didn't self seal when all that gas pressure comes rushing out you try getting that house back on to seal, I couldn't get it back on had to open up the windows call the gas board run around the house trying to find the shut off valve which I couldn't find. You've only got to cross that fitting up and the next time the customer turns on the cooker boom. Oh and I read in the legislation that you should use some sort of fluid to check for leaks what am I a gas man no so where do you buy such a liquid don't sell that at my suppliers.

7. Matt

Basically what your saying is your not competent, so in your case you should not be removing the gas cooker. It is a very grey area on what is 'competent and not'

O and for future reference, before disconecting a gas supply. Make sure you know where the stop tap is!

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Matt that was like 22 years ago now and it scared the hebie gebies out of me when you hear that wosh of gas and almost get knocked out by it, I still remember it like it was yesterday even the British gas engineer in 40 years he had never come across one that did that. Yeah rookie mistake not knowing where the shut off valve is the gas man found it although he had to break into the garage to get to it and move a mountain of stuff hiding it.
    Ever since then gas just scares me hence why I don't move them, it is a bit of a grey area but my insurance company when I asked said if you move it you are not covered. I don't think I'm being awkward I just don't want to cause injury to someone because of something I done.

9. Matt

LOL, ye i remember the time i nailed through a gas pipe, could not find the gas shut off. Absolutly crapped myself. Phoned my Granddad and he said "hammer a small peice of wood in" It worked untill the gas peopel got there and fixed.

Never forget it tho.

10. Robroy

Robroy Well-Known Member

Funny enough I looked at a job today and I said I would remove because it's on a bayonet and I said to the lady I was t 100% sure whether I was supposed to legally

11. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

I don't touch gas, electric or plumbing, if the customer wants us to move them we have an electrician, gasman and plumber who will do it and charge accordingly at least we and the customer is covered. Same with digging out concrete and refilling we've got a professional builder to do that and a trained joiner for skirting/door cutting etc... we fit your floors that's what we trained to do let the other tradesmen do their jobs.

12. SandyFloor

SandyFloor Well-Known Member

I have no issues disconnecting and reconnecting a gas bayonet fitting and did it only last week. It's designed so almost anyone can do it and as easy as changing a light bulb. I always visually inspect it for being in good order on disconnection and make sure it's clean before reconnecting.

13. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

And, how many of you find that when you pull the cooker out you find that the last person never hooked up the chain to the wall..... :roll:

14. SandyFloor

The one last week didn't even have one!

15. Matt

yes,the chain is there to stop you pulling out the cooker and pulling the gas pipe with you.

But to be fair its a poor design in the fact that the consumer can disconnect without tools. Cant really see the point myself. I would think a safer and better method would be to connect the chain that requires a special tool to remove. The tool being available for us all to purchase but will be purchased by a confident person to under take the job of removing rather than the average joe who is not confident.

16. tonycarpets

tonycarpets Member

I one had to pull up an old door plate up off a concrete floor and the nails were thru a gas pipe , I got the bill :roll: :roll: of course!!

17. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Gutted, there's no way I would of paid that mate. How unreasonable was that customer. Bet they said they didn't want the door plate lifted so it's ur fault

18. SandyFloor

No way I would have paid it either in fact they should have been grateful it was discovered.

19. Matt

agreed,

Done them a favor.

20. Manny39

Manny39 Banned

I'd rather shift a cooker than a washer, now they are bar stewards. In fact I think you need to treble your fitting price for kitchens because the majority of the time it's full of the whites.