Doubt on stair nosing

Discussion in 'Wood' started by vineeth, Jan 23, 2019.

1. vineeth

vineeth Member

Hi All,

Planning to start laying laminate flooring (12mm thicknes with 5G click) over a 5mm acoustic underlay. [1] I have got a step (About 150mm drop) from my bedroom to the hallway, and trying to find a stair nosing that supports 5G click. Would be great if any of you could point me to place where I could get this.

[2] One other doubt I have is till the stair nosing, it's floating floor with 6mm underlay (That means a total height of 12 + 6 = 18mm from subfloor), does that mean I have to use a stair nosing that can take a 18mm thick floor board so that the nosing sits flush with the rest of the floor?

Thanks in advance :)

Vin

2. vineeth

vineeth Member

[3] Also since the rest of the floor is floating and the nosing is fixed, won't the floating move over time thus pushing the nosing since nosing is fixed?

Thanks

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yep, you would need to fix the nosing. You could hide the underlay with the wood riser. If your flooring supplier doesn’t make a nosing you probably won’t find one that sits flush into your specific locking system. Karhs use to make a interlocking nosing, not sure if they still do? You can find lip over solid oak nosing that will work or make one up out of hardwood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. vineeth

vineeth Member

Thanks Merit :)

For underlay with riser, would you then pin the board to the actual step, since you cannot glue the board to the step?

5. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Probably a bit late now, but you could try a quickstep incizo and metal base, as for the riser,without seeing it i'd say you had 3 options, cut off the nosing to square up the step, pack out the riser to square up the step ,or pack out the top of the riser and slope the laminate back down to the bottom