Durafit 500

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Sophie90, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Sophie90

Sophie90 Member

Looking at underlay for concrete floor in my lounge. I have foam at the moment but its not dense enough. I'e Also been looking at wool but never used it before not sure if it will be dense enough for a high traffic area. I'e come across durafit 500, is it crumb rubber? But I really want to know can it be used as normal underlay without all the sticking? I really don' want to stick it down as I'll have problems getting it up!! Or any advice on best underlay to help in high traffic areas and flattening of the pile? Thanks

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

You could use it just stapled down if you wanted but it is very dense more what you’d use in a commercial area for stick down systems or naturals
    Why not have a look at Durafit treadmore or a crumb rubber felt combination underlay
    Go for a short pile or a loop pile which are less susceptible to flattening and wool is definitely a good option

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Durafit 500 is too thin to use with gripper. As spacey says a crumb rubber/ felt combination underlay would be best. Or a contract version of the foam underlay will be denser. Most underlay needs to fixed to stop it moving under the carpet but doesn’t need to be fully stuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sophie90

Sophie90 Member

Thankyou. I'e ordered some samples of foam underlay. I'e Also seen some wool underlay which I'm considering more for the insulation side I'm just sceptical as I've never used used wool and wouldn't want it to flatten fast.

5. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

What carpet are you looking to install? Wool? 100% polypropylene? Nylon? If you use anything but a quality 80/20 wool/nylon twist or Axminster I wouldn’t advise a wool felt.

6. Sophie90

Sophie90 Member

I was going to have wool carpets on my stairs and landing and twist in the livingroom and bedrooms.....so wool underlay is no good for that?

7. tarkett85

If you’re putting an 80/20 wool twist down go with a crumb felt if you’re putting a 100% wool loop down use a crumb rubber.

8. Roidsey

Roidsey Well-Known Member

Sorry to jump in, why would you use those particular underlays for those carpets tarkett?

9. Sophie90

Sophie90 Member

Screenshot_20180306-183608.png this is what I've been looking at. It' just so confusing as different shops tell you different things. I' having to replace my full house carpets after 4 months!! So this time I want to get it right.

10. Spacey

That’s the stuff yes

What you’ll find on here is good sound advice from knowledgeable experienced carpet and flooring installers
    In a shop (not to say all shops) you may have a sales man trying to sell you what he has in stock or what he can make a good profit from

11. Sophie90

Sophie90 Member

I know I've learnt my lesson now I will research before I buy things and never will I step foot in scs again!! Thankyou I'll get this stuff I'm hoping it' not as spongy as the pu foam I have now. Thankyou for your help.

12. Spacey

No it’s not spongy like PU

13. Jasper

Jasper Well-Known Member

To be honest Iv had the wool and crumb underlay as above , ripped it out after 3 or 4 years as it got hard underfoot as time went on
    Iv replaced with a decent PU underlay and find it better
    NOT all PU underlays are the same
    Hope this helps

14. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Depends if you want a spongy feel or firm under foot

15. tarkett85

If you use a man made or 100% wool loop they will bed in and flatten relatively quickly on a combi felt, a loop pile will never be comfy so use a quality crumb for dimensional stability.

16. tarkett85

The sales people only know what they’re told, and when you consider a large company is all about profit margins you can guess what information they’ll be given, scs sub out the fitting so they don’t really care like the people supplying and installing (we hate bad press and fitting cheap materials when possible).