Eco pearls (or similar dry product) to level uneven stone floor

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Wil_JRC, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Wil_JRC

Wil_JRC New Member

Hi all,

I was hoping I could get some advice on leveling an uneven stone floor in order to prepare it for an engineered wood floor.
    The floor is in a house my parents have recently moved into. It is original (or at least very old) mixture of quarry tiles, brick and stone.
    I'm sure the first thing you are all thinking is 'NOOOOO don't do it!!' I know where you're coming from, but although it is very interesting and has a certain charm, it is just not practical for my mum and dad as it very hard to keep clean and is very cold. My mum is also worried about tripping on it.

The idea is to do something reversible (ie not a cement based screed / levelling compound), as the property is listed. I came across the Eco Pearls product (on an old post on this form) and was wondering if anyone has had used it for a similar situation and had any advice to share.

I am thinking that the overall sequence / build-up would be:
    • Survey/measure floor to find high / low spots and set final floor level and determine volumes
    • DPM on top of original floor to protect it.
    • Install eco pearls
    • Install subfloor panels
    • Underlay
    • Engineered wood floor

I was also wondering if anyone has had any experience grinding stone floors. There are a couple of local very high spots that would govern the overall level. If these could be reduced by even just a small amount it would help.

2. Yiddo1982

Yiddo1982 Well-Known Member

I dont understand. You want to do so.ethi g reversible but are talking about putting g a dam down and grinding the stone down. Wouldn't reversible mean can all be taken up and back to the old flooring again

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

3. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I'm assuming he means a sheet of dpm and something like a floating chipboard floor.
    I've not had any experience with eco pearls, but battens may be another option to level the floor

4. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Floorfixx ?

5. Yiddo1982

Yiddo1982 Well-Known Member

Forboquick fit is dwcent in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

6. Wil_JRC

Wil_JRC New Member

Hi,
    The DPM would be between the original floor and the Ecopearls to separate them. This would not be bonded to the stone so could be removed. The Ecopearls need to be kept free of moisture so need to be separated from the original floor.
    Grinding down the level would only be to a couple of local very high spots. Obviously this would not be reversible but would only be in limited areas.

7. Wil_JRC

Wil_JRC New Member

Hi, yes, what you described is what I am thinking of. Battens is another option but I think it would raise the floor level too much.

8. Wil_JRC

Wil_JRC New Member

Thanks Yiddo, the Forbo system looks ideal for the subfloor, once we have a reasonably level surface, which is what (hopefully) the ecopearls would achieve.

9. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Eco pearls work but it’s not easy to use and get yourself a good mask as it releases a lot of dust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Could you not use a dpm sheet and flood or with a gypsum based levelling compound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk