electrical cable regs

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by afterglow, Jun 14, 2017.

1. afterglow

afterglow Member

Evening Guys!
    After some advice.
    Done a carpet job today, stairs/landings etc
    Anyway, there was a step that leads upto a top landing, cut carpet ontop (inbetween gripper) to cut excess off, and pop, i go through a hidden lighting electric wire.
    Wire was buried inbetween riser and tread, behind wood of step, but a tiny hole allowed my blade to snip through it.
    Where do i stand on this? I was under the impression that the wires had been installed illegally, as it was right under a surface, but customer wants me to pay.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Who installed the wires ?
    Who cut the wire was it the customer ?

3. afterglow

afterglow Member

I assume it's an old previous wiring. Bunch or wires all bugged behind step, running down to switch board in cupboard under stairs.
    I cut it.

4. afterglow

afterglow Member

5. Spacey

May as well just bite the bullet and get it sorted rather than it all turning into messy dispute.
    It's only a wire

6. Spacey

We've all done it:rolleyes:

7. afterglow

afterglow Member

Yeah im prepared to lose out on the fit. i told them id pay them. Just covering myself incase the electrician charges a silly figure for it really!

8. Spacey

It's a small repair can't see it taking long or costing much
    I'd do it my self tbo

9. afterglow

afterglow Member

Thanks spacey.
    Yeah customers are being really funny. Only want qualified electrician todo it etc. Amazing as was a bodge anyway!!

10. afterglow

afterglow Member

£240 sparky wants!!

11. merit

merit Well-Known Member

If it's hidden it's not your responsibility mate. If you can't see it you couldn't of know it was there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Get a quote yourself from someone

13. afterglow

afterglow Member

I know my argument exactly. Even offered to pay half out of good will, they wouldnt accept it, so i had to pay up the full amount today! Nice hey!

14. Spacey

HOW MUCH ??? :eek:

Did he have an eye patch and a peg leg ?

15. afterglow

afterglow Member

I know bloody joke isn't it! Gutted actually.

16. merit

merit Well-Known Member

What a bastard

17. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Robbery!

I remember taking up an old stairs carpet and right in the timber join of the tread and riser there was 8 wires that ran into a hole into the cupboard underneath the stairs. It was a mate of mine that had just moved in and he thought sod it rip them out even though I told him to trace the wires back to see where it goes but anyway he gets my chisel out my bag and starts chipping away at the wires then gets hold of a few and tugged on them, ripped clean out the hole o_O next thing you know the loudest siren starts going off in the house that he wasnt even aware was a siren, he thought it was an old doorbell and the outside alarm starts going off which he thought was a dummy alarm :D he had to go up his ladders and rip the box off, as for the siren that got my rubber mallet! Just when we thought that was it, he was faffing around in the garden and on the side door there was a doorbell button which we thought was weird seeing as it was at the back door.....pressed it and 'bbanngg' loud pop from under the stairs where the consumer board was and all the electrics went off, no matter what he did it kept tripping so had to call an emergency sparky out. 4hrs later after new consumer board and a load of feckin rewiring he was handed a nice bill for £620............plus vat :eek:.....lesson learnt for him to stop tugging!!!!

Turns out the old dear who lived there before was death so everytime the doorbell was pressed it would flicker the lights for her to know there is someone at the door BUT because he ripped them wires out it was part of a whole loop that worked with a panic alarm and basically fucked it. Gods knows what happened to the switch at the front door.

What that sparky did I could have done myself and I wouldnt have charged him the vat :) just thought id share that whikst I wait for my dinner.