Employment wanted!

Discussion in 'Job Centre' started by Oli, May 20, 2019.

1. Oli

Oli Member

Hi, I was looking to find a way into floor fitting, I have no formal experience but I am keen and willing to learn. I live in the Peterborough area. Can anyone help me please?

2. Glenn H

Glenn H Well-Known Member

First step, ensure you a cscs card for contract work or you won't be able to step onto a site oli

3. Oli

Oli Member

Thank you for the advice, I shall apply for one immediately. I am finding it very difficult to find anyone who is looking for a mate in my area. Any advice on how to put myself out there to fitters for potential work experience at least? I just want to learn the trade and get a foot in the door.

4. Glenn H

Depends what route you want to take and attitude towards work. Domestic fitting or contract fitting?

Why the flooring trade out of interest?

There will be people happy to have helpers/labourers, give them the bare amount of training (If any) teaching them short cuts and poor practice methods of installing floors and let them get on with it. 6 months down the line the helper then believes they are better than what they are and want to go off on their own chasing the ££s.

As I said, it depends on your attitude,how you want to be perceived by the industry and your own integrity. If you want to just be like the the other 80% of fitters out there with the "that will do" attitude im sure you will find somebody to half ass train you...or conduct yourself in a proffesional manner, read up on types of flooring, their use and why they are specified for certain areas etc.

Prepare to learn how to sweep and clean an area properly and leave it dust free. Lift heavy materials around site, how to trowel out adhesive evenly, clearing up scraps of flooring, mixing up 100s of bags of latex etc.

Contract Flooring pretty much involves 80% prep work and 20%fitting. Earn your stripes starting off doing all the crap jobs/tasks first and work your way up. That way you have experience on exactly what's required when you walk onto a job. Don't expect to huge amounts whilst all this is being done, but if you are going to be in it for a lifetime the money will improve as your fitting does.

5. Oli

Oli Member

Hi there, firstly thank you for taking the time to write a reply to me, much appreciated.

I have been looking to get into the industry for a little while, my partner's uncle is a manager of Carpet Right and after a few conversations with him, he has really motivated me to go for it, a total career change for me too. I have a young family and I want to build a career for myself to better support them in the future. I am willing to earn less while I'm learning, I am willing to out my heart and soul into this and I want to learn to be the best I possibly can.
    I think I would be looking to get into more domestic fitting. I wouldn't be looking for a quick crash course in fitting to get me up to a certain level as quickly as possible. I want to learn all I can over an extended period of time where I can, as you say become as good as I can be so I can prove a quality service to my customers.

I just need a foot in the door, I'm just struggling to find someone who will take me on to learn from.

Thank you.

6. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

Be prepared to be earning circa 50 quid a day for a year or 2, you can afford to do that then I would of thought asking your partners uncle if he knows anybody looking for a lad would be best bet otherwise phone up local shops in area

Just be prepared for crap money for a while as you are going up against school leavers or eastern Europeans as a lad so money will be low as that's what your getting priced against

7. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Cant your uncle put you forward with one of his fitters/gangs?

8. Oli

Oli Member

Hi, once again thank you for your comment. I know the first year or 2 will be very tight while I am learning, it's a sacrifice I am willing to make to eventually be a skilled worker in the field and to be able to provide a good level of service for customers, rather than doing a below par job as previously mentioned above.
    Unfortunately my partner's uncle doesn't have anyone looking to take on a mate. I have contacted a few companies around the area (Peterborough) to enquire as to whether anyone will take a chance on me, hopefully I will hear back from somewhere.

Thank you for your time.

9. Oli

Oli Member

Hi there, thanks for the comment. Unfortunately he doesn't have anyone looking to take on any mates as most of them are at the latter stages of their careers and are winding down the work they are taking on.
    I have contacted some companies in the area with the hope I will hear something but all I can do is keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you

10. Moyle

Moyle Well-Known Member

I’m looking for a lad in Lowestoft, great to see you’re interested in getting into the trade. I’d gladly take you on but just that bit too far for you mate.
    Wish you all the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Oli

Oli Member

Hi thank you for taking the time to reply, that's very kind of you to say. I haven't had any replies from any of the flooring companies I have contacted unfortunately, I haven't had any other offers either so I am starting to wonder how else I might get into the trade.
    It's something I really want to do.

12. Glenn H

We go up and down the country, it's all contract and probably not suitable for someone with a new family. You should definitely consider getting a cscs card to open up more opportunities