Eng. nail down & underlay...???

Discussion in 'Wood' started by welsh wood, Aug 2, 2013.

1. welsh wood

welsh wood Well-Known Member

Can i pick your brains gents... gotta 21mm eng. oak to install direct to joist, no probs - however client wants as much sound & heat insulation as is possible... they asked a question whether or not we could insulate between the joists using a rolled product EG sheepswool, no probs but also use a high quality acoustic underlay (EG Regupol) across the joists then flooring nailed down... is this a good option, is this a do-able option...?

ALL ADVICE INFO APPRECIATED... :cool:

2. Trimmer

Trimmer Well-Known Member

I thought that when you nail through regupol the sound can travel through.
    How about celotex between joists, sisalkraft ontop, 9mm ply then flooring

3. welsh wood

welsh wood Well-Known Member

thanks for the feedback Trimmz ;) yea it isn't advisable to nail through the Regupol, but not really sure how much of an effect this would have on it's performance... client wants to install under existing skirting if possible so wouldn't think the 9mm ply would work... Cellotex & kraft paper are certainly options i will be considering though :cool:

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I've seen solid oak nailed over what looked like a 3mm foam underlay?

5. UVcure

UVcure Well-Known Member

If the joists are level with a 21mm engineered is there any reason why you couldn't fill up to the top of the joists with a solid type acoustic board,( celotex)and then lay regepul or other acoustic mat/ foam over the whole room and then float the engineered over the top without nailing, if the joist are level, maybe a little packing here and there, or planing the high points, then I see no reason why you can't if the joists are at the correct centres