Engineered wood - wearing badly

Discussion in 'Wood' started by ben k, Jul 17, 2019.

1. ben k

ben k New Member

Hi all

First post so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Last year we had a new kitchen installed (Magnet), and they also put in an engineered wood floor. It's open plan so this runs from the front door, through kitchen, dining area and to back door (living room is separate).

It is wearing badly. I appreciate we should have looked at this as soon as we bought it, but we were naive and not particularly conscious of DIY related things. It was sold as being brushed and oiled - we thought it would withstand day to day activity. There are large marks near the cooker from spills, marks from water spillages, and seemingly dirt ingrained. We have tried the recommended cleaning (vacuum, brush, well wrung out mop) but it still looks awful.

What are our options here? My initial thoughts are a very light sanding, and then to give a good coat of oil. But I really have no idea.

Any help is much appreciated!

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

If it’s natural oil it will need constant maintenance. The more you oil it the harder wearing it becomes. Light sand and oil as you suggest should return it to its original look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. crazydaze

crazydaze Active Member

Natural Oiled Engineered is going to be the most difficult and time consuming of Engineered Oak finishes to keep on top of.

As has been suggested, a light sand and re-oil is needed really, and then a good maintenance regime and build the protection up, but as it's a natural surface, it will mark over the years to some degree.

a UV oile or Matt Lacquered finish would have been easier to live with from a maintenance perspective.

Firstly never wash. a wood floor, moisture will mark and damage it.

To clean it, a Wood Floor Cleaner Spray for Oiled & Waxed Floors from companies like Woods Good and Bona will clean the grain without removing the protective oils, they are simple to use, just mist on and wipe over with a flat head microfibre cleaning mop. Sweeping etc is of course fine.

Any spills need to be wiped up straight away, you may get some marks out with a Stain Remover for wood floors or a light rub with wire wool and some oil to finish.

In short, Engineered is fin in a Kitchen, it just so happens you have the least practical finish for maintenance.