Fitting procedure verification please

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Ander1976, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Ander1976

Ander1976 Member

hi all,

I am going to be laying 35 square metres of karndean Van Gogh in a newly built extension (bedroom and ensuite above a garage) in the next week or so.
    The subfloor is 22mm chipboard over 450mm centred joists and the builder has done a great job and it’s god and level (once I sand a small jump down where the ensuite meets the bedroom).
    My plan is to lay sp101 6mm ply (acclimatised for 5 days) then feather finish, then lay the karndean (already acclimatising in there now).
    The room has a humidity level of 50-55%, the temp will be kept above 18 degrees, and the chipboard has a moisture level of 9-11% ( higher round the edges I guess due to the plastering of the walls?)

I plan in using mapei ultra bond eco fix as a dry fit to give a longer working time.

Does all this sound okay?

Also, should I butt the plywood tightly together or leave a small expansion gap between boards?

And the room has a SW facing Juliette balcony about 2m wide....it’s not a conservatory so room temp will not get stupidly high, but is this going to be an issue with direct heat from sunlight in terms of future plank expansion? Eco fix says it’s okay up to 35 degrees but does this only spot if used as a wet fit?

Many thanks for taking the time to read all this!!

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

But the ply up feather finish the seams but Id use karndean universal adhesive its much stronger and also its recommend by karndean so doesn't void the product warranty Apart from that all sounds good

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Get yourself some good black out blinds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ander1976

Ander1976 Member

Universal as oppose to PS? Is that because of the window/sunlight or is we-set a better application in general? Would UZIN k66 good the warranty despite being the same stuff?
    Cheers

5. Spacey

Better in general plus you said your going to dry fit which is the best way and universal is the best glue to use for that.
    As for warranty you'd ok with 66 id say

6. Ander1976

Ander1976 Member

Okay, great, thanks Spacey.
    I’ve not done wet set before, only PS...can I just check:
    I trowel it out, leave for 5 mins, and then apply planks with a 20 minute working time. How long do I wait before rolling it, and can it be carefully walked on in the meantime or do I need to avoid doing so?
    Many thanks

7. Spacey

No mate here's how I do it with Univeral

Fit the whole floor dry
    Up lift in sections usally about 5-6 rows keeping all the planks in order even the full planks.
    Glue out then place the planks in soaking wet adhesive straight away but don't refit in rows do it by the width
    If its a long run glue a bit lay a bit glue a bit lay a bit.
    If its all laid in soaking wet there's not really a need to roller it but it wont do any harm
    If any adhesive comes through the seams which is a good thing wipe it up with a damp cloth straight away

8. Ander1976

Ander1976 Member

Awesome....that’s really great....thanks for your help.

9. Spacey

Welcome