Flat beading, neat finish

Discussion in 'Wood' started by admin1, Feb 7, 2011.

1. admin1

admin1 Well-Known Member

Frequently we're been asked: I can't/don't want to remove my skirtingboards and I don't like the look of scotias or quadrants. What can I use to cover the needed expansion gap around the floor that does look good?

Our answer is quite simple: Solid Oak flat beading. A simple strip - 5mm thick, 28mm wide, with a rounded edge on the front and tapered edge on the back - that's pinned down on your wood floor to give you a very neat finish. A very unobtrusive finish, like a "picture frame", covering the expansion gap.

Blends in

[​IMG]
    As you can see, or rather not see, the flat beading is often hardly visible.

Does the job, neatly

[​IMG]
    Here's another example - also note how the door post is undercut to allow expansion of the floor there too.

Around fireplaces

[​IMG]
    It also works very well around a fire place - if the tiles etc are higher than the floor. Remember, a wooden floor has to have expansion gaps all around its perimeter, so also in front and beside a fire place.

Angles

[​IMG]
    Because the beading is not very wide or thick, it can be cut (sawn) in the angle you need to fit it neatly whatever the shape of the wall "forces" you to have. In our tools for trade - ask us - we have a special cutter (with leverage) that can tackle this job effortlessly.

The little details

[​IMG]
    Picture above shows a build-in cupboard where a little piece of beading right in the corner takes care of those little finishing details.

Also note the Solid Oak radiator pipe cover, it does not just sit on the beading. No, the beading is cut round to allow the round shape of the cover to fit neatly around the pipe.

It's those little details that make your floor look professionally finished.

The beading comes unfinished, so you can stain, varnish, oil it with the same colour/product as you floor (or if needed, colour match it with a tropical wood-species by using an appropriate stain).

2. GetItDone

GetItDone New Member

20180826_111205.jpg

I've only ever gone the scotia route to date but flat beading is likely to be the only option for my current issue. The room was previously carpeted and there is a built in wardrobe which has a lip which is only 20mm above the chipboard (see photo). The laminate is 7mm and the underlay is 5mm so hopefully I have enough room, just .

In the excellent description above, is it really saying pin the flat beading to the laminate? That wouldn't leave scope for expansion would it? I can't find any useful advice on fitting flat beading and was hoping someone could please help.

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Technically it takes away your expansion. You would need to fix something around the base of the skiriting first then pin the flat bead to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. GetItDone

GetItDone New Member

Thanks merit, sounds a bit tricky/flimsy. I've seem stuff that looks line a 7 in section (see photo below). I guess that can be fitted with a grab adhesive?

I'd have to remember to leave an extra wide expansion gap to cope with the width of the vertical portion. Looking at the example I have copied below, that vertical portion may be a bit high for my underlay+laminate depth of 12mm.

edging.png

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

That would work better but as you say it’s probably too tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk