Flexi sand sanding

Discussion in 'Wood' started by merit, Jan 8, 2018.

1. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Anyone using just a flexisand for unfinished wood flooring? Bona showed some good sanding papers at a demo recently but I haven’t tried them yet? Think they were ceramic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

No, but any ceramic will last longer and perform a little better

3. Christopher felton

Christopher felton New Member

The flexi is a brilliant finishing sander just don't use for cutting back as it's to heavy and powerful . If the floor is flat just stick to the hummle edger and a buffer

4. Ben Ward

Ben Ward Active Member

I used it recently for a floor that was level and just needed faulty lacquer removing and a very light sanding- worked well starting with 40 grit, then working up to 120. All Bona discs (black ones- think they’re silicone carbide?). Much quicker overall than getting the belt sander involved

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Nice one. I’ve got some ceramic 50 grit they look like they will be quite aggressive! Defo easier than a belt sander over herringbone in a hallway if it works

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Well we’ve had some really good advice from Alec Stacey at Bona regarding the sanding pads and the floor is looking perfect now. Ceramic 50 grit cut it flat, zirconia 60, 80 and finish with 120 diamond. Spot on

7. onemillionsquares

onemillionsquares New Member

Are you referring to the FlexiSand Power Drive or buffer?

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Power drive

9. onemillionsquares

onemillionsquares New Member

When the Power Drive first came out I was not convinced of its cost vs benefit. But after having had the opportunity to put it to work for a period of time, I found that if you can figure out how to integrate it into your sanding sequence, such that it replaces the big machine at some point, then it can be worth the money. My standard method on either a raw wood floor or refinish is this:

Big machine first cut with 50 - 60 grit.
    Trowel fill.
    Power Drive with 80 - 100 grit
    Edge what's left (usually 1.5" or less to the wall) with 60 grit then 120 grit.
    Buff with 120 grit.
    Done.

The Power Drive is especially good at getting chatter out, which all my machines seem to produce to some annoying degree. So putting the Power Drive in after the initial rough off ensures the chatter is gone, and I don't have to spend much time buffing with 120 later. The Power Drives also cuts the amount of coarse edging I have to do by 80%.