Floating LVT in conservatory?

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Tim091, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Tim091

Tim091 Active Member

The good people here have given me lots of advice about good brands of "click" LVT and how to best prep the floor etc. for my conservatory/kitchen/ dining room project. From that I concluded that I would be better getting pro's in to at least do the floor prep.

So, estimator round today (from a floor company I have used twice before and rate highly). He immediately said no way floating LVT in a conservatory. In fact he said they refuse to fit any LVT "click".

He said that the small print on all of the so-called floating floor sheets says that in anywhere there is a window, and therefore heat changes, it must be stuck down.

Talking b@llocks?

He is recommending stick-down vinyl (either roll or 4 metre widths), which is certainly cheaper than the click stuff but the floor prep has to be much more precise, and more expensive (a specific ply - SP101 for example).

Thoughts?

2. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

A dry back LVT would be better and both that and the click need the same prep work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Tim091

Tim091 Active Member

Thanks @tarkett85 . By "dry back" do you mean floating?

I thought that the "click" stuff, being thicker (5mm+), and needing underlay, was more "forgiving" of a dodgy sub floor.

4. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Dry back is the traditional glue down LVT, and no both have to be like glass there’s no forgiveness for the click LVT it’s only for speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Yeah I would say the same. I don’t fit any LVT click if any direct sunlight in the room.
    Prep it & Glue dryback LVT down and no problems.

6. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

I nearly spat my stella out when I read the title :eek:

7. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

You won't be using ply.

8. Tim091

Tim091 Active Member

Big thanks all. I think ply is a must as I have one room that is rather dodgy t & g floorboard (big gaps) which runs into a room that has rather dodgy t & g chipboard and then both run into the conservatory. No ply in the conservatory I get (you have educated me on that before!) so it was the other rooms he was referring to.