floor lacquer - 3 coats, when to denib?

Discussion in 'Wood' started by seneca, Mar 11, 2020.

1. seneca

seneca Member

Hi everyone,
    I've just put down a coat of Bona natural primer (water based) over my newly sanded floor and have calculated that I have enough Bona Traffic HD for 3 coats (very close, but I'm hoping it takes a tiny bit less with successive coats.) I was originally planning 2 coats and denibing with a 180 grit sanding block between first and second. If I plan to do a third coat, should I denib after 1st and 2nd coat, or just after the second coat. I thought it may be safer to go with light denibing between each coat. Any thoughts?

2. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Check the floor after the first coat of traffic, if it's smooth, then there is no need to denib, don't skimp on the amount of finish you use per coat, 2 thicker coats will give a better finish than 3 thin coats

3. Paul webb

I coat primer, first coat of bona mega, no need to denib

Attached Files:

4. seneca

seneca Member

Fabulous finish Paul. Satin?
    Won't the floor take a bit less each coat? I've got 5 litres, Bona say 8-10m per l, so I'm thinking mix 17m, 16m, 16m (whatever is left). They say denib after first coat, but that's for 2 coats in total. I thought I would lightly hand sweep with a 150 grit and clean between all coats. Partly to denib, but also leave a bit of roughness for the next coat. Make sense or crazy?
    How much effect does heating being on/off, windows slightly open make?

5. Paul webb

Lacquer doesn't soak into the floor after the primer is applied, so each coat should be equal, you can denib after the first coat if don't think it feels smooth enough or even for your own piece of mind, as long as you apply coats within the 24 hours, they will bond to the previous without a key, keep the room warm, but i would avoid leaving any windows open as this may cause a draught and blow dust onto the floor

6. seneca

seneca Member

Do you think the third coat is worth doing? Or leave it at 2 and chuck the almost third coat into the bin? If it wasn't almost a full coat, according to the maths, then I would just do 2. I would have to denib if I were to do 3 coat, and as I can only manage 2 a day the 3rd may be 24hrs, but hence definitely denib, even if its more like 19/20 hrs. Have to work it into my daily schedule, as could leave the finish for weekend. Everyone's fed up with furniture all over the house!

7. Paul webb

You should have a better idea of coverage after the first coat, if you have used exactly a third or less on the first coat and it's given a smooth even finish, then a third coat should give the same.

8. seneca

seneca Member

Thanks again Paul. A great piece of advice, again. Just out of interest, did you pour your finish onto the surface or roller try/scuttle bucket? The videos show both. I figure pouring is easier is easier for shaking a container to mix and no dripping excess.

9. Paul webb

With a roller i usually use a bucket, i just find it easier to control how much i put on and where i put it

10. seneca

seneca Member

I did use a third of the traffic and hardener for my first coat and had a bit left over. maybe I applied it a little thinly, but didn't want to leave those white patches which look like there's too much on. Should it be rolled to clear, or left a little cloudy? Left a few marks in places where the roller lifted off and the occasional line where the edge began to dry. I split the room into 3 long sections, so maybe made it harder for myself. Maybe 5 long section would be better, but thought longer strips were better than squares. Leaving it to dry, so hope they improve with drying. I may give a few hrs extra drying and feel the surface. I'll definitely get 2 more coats, still to decide if its worth sanding between each of the 3 coats, or do 2 and then sand before the final one.

11. Paul webb

Did you have the heating on while you were applying? Don't have the room cold but having it a bit cooler might give you a bit more working time, don't worry too much about the odd little roller mark, they should level themselves out whilst drying

12. Paul webb

You could also try working slightly diagonally, so as you're working across you are also extending the first row sooner, keeping a wet edge

13. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Defo use 3 coats and a light de nib between coats really helps but if your getting a good finish not essentials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t de nib bona natural tho until the second coat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk